Keeping it real with band reunions

Good news, everyone — Fleetwood Mac is getting back together for a reunion tour.

The band, which formed in 1967, has been separated for 17 years now. They plan to start their tour in September and then travel throughout the United States during the following few months.

As a huge fan of most music from the 1960s and ’70s, I was ecstatic to hear one of my favorite bands would reunite. Despite my excitement for the reunion, I am a little skeptical of the sudden regrouping of the band.

After all, vocalist Stevie Nicks did say that when it came to vocalist and keyboardist Christine McVie coming back to the group, there was “more of a chance of an asteroid hitting the Earth.”

I am hoping for the best with this reunion tour. But generally speaking, older bands that get back together tend to fall short of the fans’ expectations. The music that fans know and love just doesn’t sound the same when it is coming from a reunion band.

The vocals of a young lead singer tend to change a lot as they grow older, and in many cases are not as great to listen to.

But I don’t doubt for a second that the reunion tour will attract many fans. That’s the great thing about the reunions of great bands — the fans still flock. They are still loyal to the band, so of course they will show up and it will be great.

The reason why fans are excited tends to be more about getting to say that they saw Fleetwood Mac than hearing an incredible show. They are just looking for the experience that comes with seeing the band.

And that is OK with me, because most of the fun that happens during concerts happens because of the crowd that is there.

My hopes for this reunion tour of Fleetwood Mac is that they will put on a great show.

Since I wasn’t exactly able to see them in their full glory, I’d love for their show to live up to even half of my expectations. Generally speaking, it’s either a hit or miss when it comes to old musicians making a comeback tour. They can either be as great as Paul McCartney or as unimpressive as others have been.

Despite past performances by reunion bands that didn’t live up to expectations, I am very excited to see what Fleetwood Mac will bring to their newly reunited band.

syrafter@indiana.edu
@sydraft