International student musicians featured at museum

entArtMuseum

International students perform classical music to a small audience in the midst of art from around the world every other Friday at the IU Art Museum.

The Office of International Services partnered with the IU Art Museum to showcase the talent and work of international music students.

Students perform classical music on a variety of instruments including guitar, cello and piano to an audience of about 25 to 60 people.

Associate Director for International Student Life Sandra Britton said the Noon Concert Series grew out of an idea from staff members to give a venue for international students who wanted to perform and be exposed to Bloomington’s musical talent.

As the popularity of the concerts grew, international students from the Jacobs School of Music became more heavily involved and began to perform regularly, she said.

“Having a venue where they could perform in front of a live audience as if they were giving a formal recital provided an opportunity for them to practice their skills and gain confidence,” Britton said.

The Noon Concert Series eventually adopted the IU Art Museum as its venue in the fall of 2013.

“I felt that the Art Museum was the perfect venue not only because of its location, but because its décor and setting enhances the quality of the concerts,” Britton said. “The ongoing international exhibits are a great compliment to the international touch our students bring to the concerts.”

The museum has already been the venue for three concerts this semester, one in January and two in February, Manager of Communications and Public Relations
Katherine Paschal said.

The latest concert was staged on Feb. 21 and featured classical guitar player Branko Barnic.

Barnic completed his degree in classical guitar in Novi Sad, Serbia, and is currently a performer diploma student in guitar performance at the Jacobs School of Music.
He performed four different pieces at the previous concert.

This month’s concerts will be staged on March 7 and 28.

Concerts last one hour each, with the first 30 minutes dedicated to the performance and the last 30 minutes including a light lunch and a chance to meet the
performers.

“The Noon Concerts provide music students with another performance experience and are a great way for students across the University to see what their fellow peers are doing as part of their studies,” Paschal said.

An earlier version of this article said there would be a concert on March 21.