Holding Hands provides public school students with glimpse into IU

A group of students from the Indianapolis Public School system assembled at IU Saturday for a glimpse into what could be their future.

The Holding Hands With Our Future program allowed students in grades five through 12 to spend a day on campus and participate in a leadership workshop, college panel discussion and social events.

Brooke Moreland-Williams, an IU alumni and the assistant residence manager at Union Street Residence Center, established Holding Hands in 2007.

Moreland-Williams created the program while she was an undergraduate at Butler University. Initially, the program was created as a requirement to fulfill Moreland-Williams’ duties as a residential assistant. At that time, she brought Indianapolis students to Butler, and her residents mentored them.

She said she did not foresee the success of the program.

“I didn’t know it would blossom into a nonprofit, where we are doing workshops and
exploring a major university’s campus,” she said. 

Moreland-Williams said she empathizes with the struggles of the students in the Holding Hands program.

“They mirror the type of student I was,” she said. “I went through IPS and saw the low
graduation rates. According to statistics, I shouldn’t be here.”

Despite the unfavorable statistics, Moreland-Williams wants the idea of college to become tangible to these students.

“I want them to learn it doesn’t matter how big this opportunity may seem, that college is attainable,” she said. “It’s a dream you can reach.”

Moreland-Williams said she still aims to have a positive affect on the students that don’t attend college. 

“I want them to know that they have the power to make good decisions to have a life of good quality,” she said.

The program began with a college panel discussion where the students were able to ask questions about the college experience. Students inquired about creating class schedules, how to handle tuition, intramural activities and dining halls.

IU junior and college panel member Nakia Jones said it is important to answer pragmatic questions about the college experience. She said she hopes her discussion with the young students helps them view college as a more achievable goal.
“I hope they realize that it’s an option, and they have plenty of resources and help to make it to college,” Jones said.

Participant Azaria Mitchell, age 12, said she relished the opportunity to ask the panel questions.

“I really enjoyed getting information from real college students,” Mitchell said. “We got a lot of information.”

After the panel discussion, the students outlined an action plan for their future. They discussed where they wanted to be one, five and 10 years from now, as well as how to
fulfill those aspirations.

Following the discussion, students went to the Indiana Memorial Union to bowl and eat pizza. Their afternoon consisted of a walking tour of IU’s campus, a visit to the IU Art
Museum and a leadership workshop.

At the beginning of the day, Moreland-Williams said the tour was an essential part of the program.

“As we are taking a tour, they can try and visualize themselves being and living here,” she said. “I want them to see themselves here. I want them to envision themselves
where other successful people are.”

The walking tour resonated with many of the students.

“The tour of campus was my favorite part of the day because we got to see how beautiful the campus was,” 17-year-old Marco Harris said. “I want to come here so bad.”

Harris said Holding Hands taught him a lot.

“It has prepared me for my future and given me a better understanding of what to expect from college,” he said.

Moreland-Williams said she hopes to expand and improve Holding Hands.

“My goal is to definitely get a major grant,” she said. “More money could get us more resources and make the program more efficient.”

However, Moreland-Williams said she will continue her initiative to promote and encourage youth education.

“It’s a social responsibility for me to invest in the youth as some people did with me,” she said.

Follow reporter Javonte Anderson on Twitter @JavonteA.