Column: A team to be proud of

spIUBBvsOSU

When I predicted a Hoosier loss to Ohio State, I did so without the knowledge freshman phenom Noah Vonleh was out with an injury.

So when IU Coach Tom Crean tweeted at 3:29 p.m. that Vonleh would not play due to foot inflammation, I was even more positive my prediction would be right.
I had questions I didn’t think IU would have the answers for.

I didn’t know how the Hoosiers contend against a Buckeye defense that kept three opponents this season in the 30s.

With no Vonleh in the game to collapse the defense, I didn’t how IU — an already weak perimeter shooting team — would get quality shot attempts against Ohio State, who has the best 3-point defense in the nation.

The Hoosiers had the answers to these questions.

IU (17-12, 7-9) knocked off another ranked opponent at Assembly Hall on Sunday. This time No. 22 Ohio State (22-8, 9-8) fell victim to the Hoosiers 72-64.

The Buckeyes were 0-for-11 from behind the 3-point arc. It marked the first time in more than a decade – Jan. 31, 2003, also against the Buckeyes – that IU held an opponent to zero made 3-pointers.

IU scored the ball with all too much ease if you’re an Ohio State fan. But you’re probably an IU fan if you’re reading this, so let’s flip that around.

The scoring was a beautiful sight to behold. Even without its linchpin center, IU played smart basketball against one of the nation’s toughest defenses.

The Hoosiers started off slow, scoring only 12 points during the first 12 minutes and six seconds. The Hoosiers then went on a 16-0 run in a four minute and 13 second span.

IU went from being down 20-12 to leading 28-20.

LaQuinton Ross received a technical during that run for shoving Austin Etherington. It was a perfect microcosm for Ohio State. The Buckeyes lost their composure and let Assembly Hall — which was once again terrific — get to them.

The Hoosiers were scrappy. They were tenacious. They out-Buckeyed the Buckeyes.
The leaders stepped up. Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell and Will Sheehey combined for 39 points.

Sheehey was once again spectacular. After killing the Hawkeyes with a career-high 30 points, he followed up with an 8-for-12 performance from the field for 19 points. He tacked on six rebounds and four steals.

What was arguably more impressive was what Sheehey did after the game.

In the post-game press conference, a reporter asked Hanner Mosquera-Perea what his performance meant to him, considering the troubling past couple of weeks he’s had dealing with his arrest.

Before Mosquera-Perea could speak, Sheehey jumped in and answered for the sophomore.

“Hanner’s been working really hard over the past couple weeks since that happened,” Sheehey said.

“He’s sorry for his actions obviously and he’s going to move on from it,” Sheehey continued. “He’s a great kid. It’s not gonna happen again.”

Whether you think Sheehey should have let Mosquera-Perea speak for himself or not, Sheehey thought that was the time to speak up for his teammate. He was a leader helping out his fellow teammate.

That’s what Sheehey did both in the press conference and the game. That’s what this whole Hoosier team did Sunday.

Without Vonleh, they stepped up for each other and played as a true team.
And that’s something to be proud of.

ehoopfer@indiana.edu