sports baseball

Baseball takes first game against Ohio State

COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Hoosiers' 15 hits coupled with a strong performance from ace Joey DeNato helped IU record a 6-4 win over Ohio State.

DeNato improved to 5-1 on the year. His line: 7 innings pitched, 5 hits, 1 earned run, 4 strikeouts and 4 walks.

His most important strikeout came in the seventh inning. IU Coach Tracy Smith had already come out to the mound to talk to his ace. IU was up 4-1 and Ohio State had a chance at getting back in the game.

With runners on first and second with one out, Ohio State put on a double steal. DeNato then struck out the batter, and Schwarber gunned down the runner at third, thwarting the Buckeye rally.

Travisand Donley led the Hoosiers with two RBI each on the offensive end. Dustin DeMuth added a homer over the right field wall and Schwarber went 3-for-4.

On the final play of the game, the throw to first got away from Travis, allowing two Buckeyes to score. But Travis ran to pick up the ball and gunned down the runner who was trying to advance to second. He was ruled out, ending the game.

Tomorrow's forecast predicts a high of 42 degrees and an 80 percent chance of rain. If the game plays, the scheduled first pitch is for 3:05 p.m. Back-to-back Big Ten Pitcher of the Week Kyle Hart will make the start for IU.

-Evan Hoopfer