sports baseball

Baseball falls at Indiana State

An early deficit and a big seventh inning doomed the IU baseball team Wednesday afternoon as it fell 12-8 against Indiana State.

The Sycamores jumped on Hoosier starter Sullivan Stadler early, pushing across five runs in the first two frames. The sophomore left-hander made it through just 3.1 innings in his second career start, striking out two batters and issuing two walks.

IU was able to cut the deficit to 6-5 by scoring four runs in the top of the seventh inning, but a disastrous bottom half of the inning put the game out of its reach.

With one out and runners on first and second base, sophomore shortstop Nick Ramos fumbled a potential double-play grounder, allowing the inning to continue. The Sycamores went on to score six runs in the inning, and the Hoosiers were unable to close the gap, despite a three-run ninth inning.

Errors have been a continuing problem for the Hoosiers in 2014 — three against the Sycamores brought their season total to 27 in just 22 games. Last season, IU committed 90 errors in 65 games.

Junior first baseman Sam Travis and senior third baseman Dustin DeMuth carried the offensive load for the Hoosiers, collecting five hits and three RBI between themselves.

IU (12-10) will next take the field against Ohio State for a three-game series in Columbus, Ohio, this weekend.

Alden Woods