Pot and prejudice

WE SAY: Let Girl Scouts see the green of their entrepreneurial efforts.

DrugScoutz

In a move that has raised some eyebrows, one enterprising Girl Scout decided to open up shop outside of a medical marijuana dispensary last week.

With her mother’s permission, 13-year-old Danielle Lei of San Francisco set up a small booth of the signature Tagalongs, Thin Mints and Samoas across from the Green Cross. Within two hours, Danielle sold more than 117 boxes — nearly a box a minute — making the idea a most profitable venture.

Though the Editorial Board is impressed with this young girl’s innovation and willingness to think outside the cookie box, we acknowledge the issue is slightly more complicated than pure sales.

At the end of the day, the issue is whether children selling baked goods in front of marijuana dispensaries is justified, in one way or another.

First, it calls into question the attitudes behind the whole cookie-selling tradition. The money raised goes to charities, the Girl Scouts organization and the troop itself, and the competition doesn’t have a reputation of being cutthroat. Critics of Danielle’s method have asked why she maintains such a dollars-first approach to a normally fun-oriented fundraiser.

The Editorial Board acknowledges this, but instead believes we should encourage entrepreneurial girls interested in more than just playing with dolls.

Second, the situation brings a child close — metaphorically and literally — to the ongoing debate about marijuana prohibition in America.

The Editorial Board, like many of Danielle’s other critics, is hesitant to deem the idea of children spending regular time outside of dispensaries as a-OK.

However, barring her from such an activity sends the message loud and clear to the world that marijuana use, both medical and recreational, is immoral and wrong. Similarly, we believe those calling her earned dollars “drug money” lack a fundamental knowledge of term.

In such a case, ventures such as Baked! of Bloomington would be veritable cartels.

This is the same logic that Danielle’s mom, Carol, maintains. While some are questioning her parenting practices, Carol believes selling cookies in front of the dispensery is not only a great opportunity for business, but also one for talking to her daughter about different types of drug use.

She makes it a point to regularly take out both of her daughters to varying areas of San Francisco to sell the cookies in an attempt to teach them about all walks of life. She also makes sure to stay with them at all times so they’re safe.

The mother organization itself, the Girl Scouts of America, has been oddly quiet during the whole ordeal. Their branch in Colorado posted an unofficial tweet lambasting the idea, but the official headquarters remains silent and has not touched the individual case.

This in itself might suggest a quiet support for their newfound young businesswoman, as Girl Scouts headquarters are normally quick to publicly acknowledge something perceived as an issue.

Though the Editorial Board is concerned for the safety of children when drugs are brought into the equation, however distantly, we ultimately commend Danielle for her creativity and tenacity in her cookie selling.

We believe that her obvious affinity for business should be encouraged in an often male-dominated profession.

Empowering young women to achieve their dreams is what Girl Scouts is all about, and Danielle represents the best of it.

­— opinion@idsnews.com
Follow the Editorial Board on Twitter @ids_opinion.