sports baseball

IU to play Oregon State in rematch

Then-freshman shortstop Nick Ramos’ ground ball rolled toward third base. The throw reached first before Ramos, recording the final out of the game.

The out also secured the final out of the best baseball season in IU history.

Oregon State beat IU 1-0 last year in an ultimate pitchers’ duel in the College World Series, ending the historic run.

“It will definitely be in the back of our minds,” senior pitcher Brian Korte said.

No. 10 IU (1-3) will get another shot at No. 2 Oregon State (4-0) at 1 p.m. Sunday in Surprise, Ariz.

“It’ll be nice to see them again,” Korte said.

The Oregon State program has been a baseball powerhouse.

Ever since Coach Pat Casey took charge in 1995, the Beavers have had just two losing seasons.

In 2006 and 2007, Oregon State was the national champion.

This year appears to be no different. In all the major polls, Oregon State is ranked in the top four in the nation.

In the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association poll, the Beavers are No. 1.

This could be the best team the Hoosiers face all year, IU Coach Tracy Smith said.

“Unless they come up with a team that’s (ranked) .5,” Smith joked. “Yeah, it doesn’t get any better than that.”

Smith seems to be leaning toward sophomore Will Coursen-Carr for the start Sunday. He said he wouldn’t save senior ace Joey DeNato for Sunday because the Beavers are just another opponent and shouldn’t be treated as special.

In his first start of the season against Texas Tech, Coursen-Carr gave up five earned runs in 4.1 innings.

“The schedule is to do Coursen-Carr on Sunday,” Smith said. “But if we have to bring him in Friday or Saturday then we’ll definitely do that.”

Follow reporter Evan Hoopfer on Twitter @EvanHoopfer.