sports women's basketball

Hoosiers face rematch against Illinois on senior night

IU (17-9, 4-9) will face Illinois (9-17, 2-11) for the second and final time in the regular season at 3:30 p.m. Saturday for senior night. The Hoosiers will have two days to prepare for the their final home game against the Illini.

The IU women’s basketball team defeated Illinois easily when the teams met for the first time this season.

But having been on a bye week since losing to Michigan at home Sunday, the Fighting Illini have had plenty of time to figure out how they will avenge their 77-58 loss to the Hoosiers.

“They have a distinct advantage of coming in off a bye date playing us,” IU Coach Curt Miller said.

Senior center Simone Deloach said it was a short rest.

“It definitely benefits us that we’ve already played them,” Deloach said.

Senior guard Amber Moore leads Illinois in scoring at 15 points per game. Freshman guard Larryn Brooks averages 16.4 points per game to lead IU.

Moore’s average is 10th-best among Big Ten players, but the Illini have struggled to score as a team all season. Their scoring offense of 68.9 points per game ranks third worst in the conference. 

Illinois has lost seven straight heading into the rematch. IU has lost three straight games, which is the third time this season it has had such a streak.

The Hoosiers averaged 11.3 turnovers per game in each of their three losses. That number is just shy of its season average of 12.6, the 15th-fewest turnovers committed per game in the country.

No matter how few turnovers IU commits, Illinois will apply pressure on defense. The Illini scored 19 of their 63 points off turnovers in their last game.

“Valuing the basketball is huge when you’re playing Illinois because they’re a high risk, high reward team,” Miller said. “You’ve got to value those possessions and move the ball and get good looks.”

Despite committing 21 turnovers, the Hoosiers shot 47.5 percent from the field in the first game against Illinois. That percentage was their second-best performance in Big Ten play.

“You’ve got to be able to make shots and we made shots there the first time,” Miller said. “We really shot the three well but when we weren’t shooting the three well we were able to attack over the top of their press and over the top of their zone.”

The Hoosiers might have their way with Illinois from the field again, too. In Illinois’ seven-game losing streak, it has allowed its opponents to shoot 48.5 percent from the field.

As a scout-heavy team, the short preparation window is tough on the Hoosiers. Miller said that when a team has a bye week, it gives the team plenty of time to focus on themselves.

After Wednesday’s game against Michigan, he wanted to work on shooting drills with fatigue this week, but the condensed time period won’t allow him to do so.

“When you’re going game-by-game, you’re always just working on your opponent,” Miller said. “And there is so much I would want to work on ourselves today, but we’ve got to worry about Illinois.”

Senior center Simone Deloach said the team wants to play as hard as it can against Illinois after last Wednesday’s game against Michigan.

“From our game last night, we have some redemption to do as well,” she said. “And for us (seniors), (it’s) the last time we’re playing in Assembly Hall so we want to end on a positive note.”

Follow reporter Stuart Jackson on Twitter @Stuart_Jackson1