student life

Burghardt takes first in Miss IU pageant

Miss IU Pageant

The scores are tallied. The second runner-up is announced, then the first.

Erika Burghardt’s name was the final one called. She looked up, and a wide smile spread across her face.

In her second year competing in the Miss IU Scholarship Pageant, she was crowned Miss IU.

“I’m so excited to represent our student body and to represent the city of Bloomington as well,” Burghhardt said.

The Miss Indiana University Organization held the annual pageant Sunday night at the Willkie Auditorium.

A total of 11 contestants sashayed across the stage in swimwear and evening gowns. They exhibited a wide array of talents from tap, contemporary and belly dancing to martial arts and musical theater performance.

The event wasn’t all for show, though — it was based on service. Each contestant had a chosen platform, and the women looked to promote awareness of issues like youth HIV/AIDS, skin cancer and distracted driving.

Burghhardt’s platform was IU Dance Marathon participation and awareness.

“Having grown up with parents who really pushed for giving back to the community and getting involved, I knew that IU Dance Marathon was something I had to get involved with,” she said. “I think it’s an organization that everyone should have the opportunity to be involved with because it is so rewarding. The more participation, the more awareness, and then we can save a child’s life.”

Burghhardt was awarded a $1,500 scholarship, as well as smaller gifts given by local businesses, such as Bloomington Kiwnanis, MarDon Salon and Mary M’s/Walnut House Flowers.

Thirty-two universities and organizations from across the state send their winners to compete for the title of Miss Indiana.

On June 16, Burghhardt will travel to Zionsville, Ind. to compete for a chance to attend the Miss America Pageant.

IU student and Miss IU 2013 Terrin Thomas was selected as Miss Indiana last year and progressed to the Miss America Pageant, but did not make it to the semifinal rounds.

Last year’s Miss IU runner-up, Mallory Essig, played host to the event.

“The talent was overwhelming,” she said. “You never know what it’s going to be like coming into a local, but all these girls were amazing. They came out and gave it their all and I’m betting you that made the judge’s decision that much harder.”

The pageant is designed to provide contestants the opportunity to gain experience in leadership, performing arts skills and interviewing.

Public Relations Chair Lauren Mnayarji said it is most notably an opportunity to do philanthropic work and give back to the Bloomington community.

“It’s really something that gets students to know pageantry isn’t all the glitz and glamor,” she said. “Yeah, they have the show for everyone to see, but whoever wins is doing a lot of community service and really working hard.”

Friends, family and others attending the event were encouraged to bring nonperishable food items to donate to the Hoosier Hills Food Bank. In all, nearly 200 cans were collected.

Aside from the winner, a first runner-up and a second runner-up were named. Other awards included the People’s Choice Award and Miss Congeniality. Scholarships of $250 were given out to both the interview winner and talent winner.

Essig said she felt the long-running event once again ran well and was very successful.

“We’re a student organization, so we try to get as much done as we can,” she said. “I couldn’t be happier and I’m really happy to pass down my crown to Erika.”

Follow reporter Grace Palmieri on Twitter @grace_palmieri.