Propane shortages plague Indiana

Since the polar vortex struck, propane shortages have plagued Indiana. Sub-zero temperatures have increased demand as people attempt to heat their homes, while trucks carrying propane have been delayed because of road conditions.

“Just ugly shortages,” said Dennis Clark, owner of Clark’s LP Gas in Bloomington.

Clark said that his propane dealing business has been dealing with 50 percent less gas than what the company normally has at this time of year.

Clark said the shortages have been a problem throughout January. He attributed the lack of propane not to a scarcity in supply but to increased demand for the gas and an inability to transport resources.

“We’re rationing the gas allocation,” he said, saying that each customer was allowed 200 gallons maximum, whereas the normal limit would be between 250 and 350 gallons.

Sandy Clark, an employee at Clark’s LP Gas on South Ketcham Road in Bloomington, said this means they can only fill a standard 500-gallon tank halfway.

This amount of propane could last between three weeks to a month, depending on the weather, the home’s insulation and other factors, Sandy Clark said.

Dennis Clark said the customers understand the need to ration, but they usually hate the decreased allocation of propane.

For the time being, Bloomington residents will have to make do with the rationed amounts.

“This will help them through this cold spell until we can do better,” said Sandy Clark.

Gov. Mike Pence has been easing restrictions on the transportation of propane due to the “extreme winter weather,” according to a press release.

Pence issued a proclamation on Jan. 3 waiving the limit on the number of hours truck drivers were allowed to be on the road in order to compensate for slow transportation.

This proclamation, which was originally set to expire on Jan. 17, was extended through Friday in order to accommodate for persistent cold temperatures and poor road conditions.

Transport drivers’ hours are normally limited, which has worked to contribute to shortages, according to a press release from Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller.

“Consumers have likely noticed the spike in propane prices as the costs of heating their homes have jumped significantly,” Zoeller said in the release. “Unfortunately, there is no easy solution to the current situation so we urge consumers to take adequate precautions now to make sure their homes stay warm during these frigid temperatures.”  

The proclamation estimated that 500,000 Hoosiers use propane in their homes and acknowledged demand for propane has increased because of “near-record cold temperatures.”

Additionally, a press release from the Indiana Senate Republican Caucus said an amendment will be announced to Senate Bill 1 today to “offer support to Hoosiers who may be affected by the Midwest propane shortage.” It was not made clear what exactly the amendment would do.

The National Propane Gas Association reported the challenges in supplying propane began in October, when grain crops were being harvested. Because the harvest was large in quantity and very wet, a huge amount of propane was needed to dry crops prior to their storage. As a result, stores of propane were depleted, according to the NPGA.

The NPGA also reported that 31 states have issued Hours of Service relief proclamations similar to the one issued by Gov. Pence.  

Dennis Clark said he does not think the propane shortage will last for too much longer.

As weather improves, the propane deficit should stop being a problem, he said.  

“I think about the second week of February it’ll probably let loose a bit,” Dennis Clark said.