education

Parents talk Fairview's future

CAROUSELciFairview

Tears started flowing at Fairview Elementary School as parents discussed their children’s reading level and their future.

After it was learned 70 percent of Fairview’s students were not reading at grade level, the school administration decided to take steps to help move the school forward.

Fairview Principal Tammy Miller said some students are up to two years behind.

Miller developed a plan to put students into small groups based on  reading level.

The new system was implemented Monday. Children returned to class with their original teachers on Tuesday in response to parents who did not agree with the new system.

Miller said many students enjoyed the new system, which increased the time students focused on reading.

She said she hoped this plan would help children who have fallen behind, but she failed to adequately communicate changes with parents.

“I made a mistake and I went too fast,” Miller said. “We’re backing up, slowing it down.”

Superintendent Judy DeMuth, Miller, administrators and about 20 parents — some with their children in tow — met in the Fairview library Tuesday night to discuss the future of the school.

Miller said she was shocked that many parents didn’t know how far
behind some students’ reading levels are.

Fairview received a grade of “F” by the Indiana Department of Education for the second year in a row. It received C’s in 2010 and 2011.

Miller came up with the plan after consulting both the Monroe County Community School Corporation and Fairview literacy coaches.

She said this new program will still give children who are reading above grade level the chance to be challenged.

Many parents at the meeting said they agreed with the new changes because they saw students react positively to their experience at school Monday.

Daviann Hernandez started crying when talking about her children.

Hernandez said if students can’t read, then they also can’t excel in any other subjects.

DeMuth said the meeting exemplified how much parents, teachers and administrators love the Fairview community and its students.

Pastor Andre Love has a 5- and 7-year-old at Fairview. Love spent much of the day Monday at Fairview and said the children were more obedient that day than usual.

He also said it is important for parents to be involved in their children’s education and make their voices heard.

“If we don’t speak up for our child, somebody else will,” he said.

Follow reporter
Sydney Murray on Twitter
@sydlm13.