McRobbie puts IU on the wrong side of history

IU President Michael McRobbie withdrew the University from the American Studies Association, which calls itself “the nation’s oldest and largest association devoted to the interdisciplinary study of American culture and history.”

McRobbie withdrew the University in response to the ASA’s endorsement of a boycott of Israeli institutions. Participants in the boycott are protesting Israel’s treatment of Palestinians, focusing especially on their academic and political oppression by the State of Israel.

President McRobbie went on to explain that he believes the boycott is “ill-conceived” and would limit academic freedom.

The Editorial Board disagrees and categorically condemns IU’s withdrawal from the American Studies Association.

The idea that the ASA boycott is “ill-conceived” is itself inaccurate. The boycott is, in fact, part of a global human rights movement to protest Israel’s shameful treatment of Palestinians.

To say that supporting this boycott is in effect supporting a limit on academic freedom is absurd. According to the ASA’s website, the resolution in favor of the boycott “is in solidarity with scholars and students deprived of their academic freedom and it aspires to enlarge that freedom for all, including Palestinians.”

The Editorial Board is not protesting the fact that President McRobbie spoke against this boycott on behalf of all members of the IU community . In fact, as president of the university, it’s his job to act as a voice for the unified campus.

Yes, we lament the fact that McRobbie rejected the ASA’s boycott. But more importantly, we condemn the president’s further step to leave the ASA altogether. Only five other institutions withdrew from the ASA as a result of the boycott, out of about 4,000 total members.

Perhaps IU’s president rejects the idea of boycotting altogether. Or perhaps the administration is afraid to call out Israel for its atrocious violations of Palestinians’ human rights.  

Regardless, the Editorial Board joins the voices of those that suspect the backlash against the ASA is happening because it is one of the few groups willing to touch an issue so toxic that many refuse to even discuss it.

We believe that just because it is politically sensitive to shine a spotlight on what has been occurring in the Middle East for more than half a century does not merit IU’s withdrawal from a prestigious American institution.

Instead of joining that discussion, IU has in effect run away from it. Herman B Wells built an iconic legacy on acceptance, inclusion and the protection of academic freedom. Unfortunately the University’s recent decision runs counter to all of that.  

If President McRobbie is genuinely concerned about preserving academic freedom and free speech, he would not have closed IU’s doors to a group that is one the few actively working to preserve it, Palestinians included.

­— opinion@idsnews.com
Follow the Editorial Board on Twitter @ids_opinion.