Gender blind and proud

For students who live on campus past freshman year, finding a
roommate can be stressful.

Many of your friends are moving off campus and, oftentimes, you’re forced to go random because you aren’t allowed to room with your friend of the opposite sex.

And, let’s be honest, going random is about as fun as playing Russian Roulette.
Thankfully, IU, in collaboration with the student-led Residence Halls Association, is taking a tremendous leap to fixing this problem by allowing upperclassmen to room with people of the opposite sex. 

The new policy will only affect those who specifically request an opposite sex roommate and who live in Union Street Center, Willkie Quad or Collins Center Hillcrest Apartments.

The Editorial Board feels this is a step in the right direction to fix a problem that the University has struggled with for several years.

Just last semester, Campus Pride, a nonprofit organization, dropped IU from its list of Top 25 LGBT-Friendly Schools.

Campus Pride said the University had been lacking in helping transgender students.

The Residence Halls Association, a body made up of the presidents and representatives from each on-campus residence center, has pushed for this change for three years. The issue, they say, wasn’t due to the personal feelings or convictions of the faculty, but because of logistical issues.

We believe this change will better the college experience for all students, but especially for LGBT individuals.

It’s understandable that gay, lesbian or transgender students would feel uncomfortable rooming with somebody of the same sex. Straight or cisgender individuals will benefit from the change as well.They will receive the option of rooming with friends, regardless of their gender. In dorms such as Union Street Center, the demand for gender-blind housing has been particularly high due to the apartment-style layout of the rooms.

IU is moving forward in what has become a national trend.

The Harvard College Democrats released a statement in support of gender-blind housing at Harvard.

“The proper role of the college is not to determine with whom students may or may not live, but rather to empower its students to make their own decisions responsibly,” the statement said.

Other universities, such as Ohio University, Brown University, the University of Michigan, the University of Pennsylvania and Oberlin College allow gender-neutral living arrangements on their campuses.

There are three things Hoosiers brag about more than anything — our basketball team, our beautiful campus and our progressive and accepting atmosphere.

Until now, the University has made transgender students, among other groups, choose between staying on campus and being uncomfortable or moving off campus to feel
accepted.

We feel the University was right to open gender-blind housing.

The Residence Halls Association and IU faculty have done a great thing on behalf of the students of this University. And it’s about damn time.

­— opinion@idsnews.com
Follow the Editorial Board at @IDS_Opinion