Two Hoosier swimmers awarded Big Ten honors

Both Big Ten weekly swimming honors went to members of the IU women’s swim team this week.

The Big Ten announced Tuesday senior distance swimmer Lindsay Vrooman is the Big Ten Swimmer of the Week and freshman Gia Dalesandro is the Big Ten Freshman of the Week.

Last weekend at the AT&T USA Winter National Championships, Vrooman earned silver in the 1,650-meter freestyle event. Her time of 15:54.68 was an NCAA automatic qualifying mark and the third best time in IU history.

In the 200-meter and 800-meter freestyle Vrooman posted NCAA B cuts, earning her a position at the NCAAs if enough spots remain in the field. This is Vrooman’s second career Big Ten Swimmer of the Week award, achieving both this season.

For Dalesandro, this is also the second time she has been honored this year. She placed sixth in both the 100-meter and 200-meter butterfly, earning NCAA B cuts in each event.

Dalesandro was part of the 400-meter medley relay team that won bronze with an NCAA qualifying time of 3:34.13.

The Hoosiers will resume competition Jan. 18, traveling to Iowa to take on the Hawkeyes, Missouri and Big Ten foe Illinois.

— Grace Palmieri