academics & research

Professor wins global distinction for computing tech

Filippo Menczer, professor of informatics and computer science and director of the Center for Complex Networks and Systems at IU, was recognized as a Distinguished Member of the Association for Computing Machinery last month.

He was one of 40 people worldwide selected for this honor, which is awarded for contributions over time to the fields of computing, advanced science and engineering.

Menczer said he researches and teaches web science, social networks, social computation and modeling of complex information networks.

Menczer said his most influential work during the past 15 years has included designing intelligent web crawlers and social phishing.

“I love my research,” Menczer said. “It is exciting to work on technology that can impact so many lives.”

Menczer’s other work has included modeling complex information and social networking and analyzing social tagging systems and crowdsourcing techniques.

He said his most recent study has involved the investigation of how information and misinformation spread through social media.

The ACM Distinguished Member program draws candidates from the top 10 percent of their worldwide membership, with its current membership at more than 100,000.

The 2013 Distinguished Members come from countries such as Denmark, Japan, Israel, Italy, China, and the United Kingdom in addition to North America.

The ACM Distinguished Member program began in 2006 and honors members who have at least 15 years of professional experience and have made significant strides in the computing field.

Vinton Cerf, the president of ACM, described the recipients of this award as “the problem solvers, prophets and producers who are powering the future of the digital age,” according to the ACM website.

ACM is the world’s largest educational and scientific computing society, and it provides a way for professionals in the field to collaborate and share resources.

In addition to his work with computer sciences, Menczer is a Senior Research Fellow at the Kinsey Institute.

Menczer said his success was due in part to the School of Informatics, his students and his colleagues.

“I have brilliant students and colleagues, making it possible to explore many problems from diverse perspectives,” he said. “When you have fun and a great team, you can accomplish a lot. The award is theirs as much as mine.”