Comparing IU's defense to other FBS defenses

IU’s defense struggled mightily under third-year defensive coordinator Doug Mallory this season. The Hoosiers gave up 36 points in a win over Purdue, a team that hadn’t scored more than 24 points in a game all season.

But IU’s defensive woes weren’t relegated to the Bucket Game. Do the math and the numbers show that IU had one of the worst defenses in college football.

Out of 123 FBS teams, IU finished 121st in total defense.

The Hoosiers were last in the Big Ten in scoring defense (38.8 points per game), total defense (527.9 yards per game), passing defense (290.2 yards per game) and opponent first downs (25.8 per game).

The unit was second to last in the conference in rushing defense (237.8 yards per game), opponent third down conversions (46.5 percent), interceptions (seven all season) and opponent passer efficiency (147.2 passer rating for opposing quarterbacks).

IU was last or second-to-last in eight major defensive categories in the conference.

In eight Big Ten games, opponents scored more than 35 points seven times. The only time IU didn’t allow 35 points was a 44-24 victory against Penn State, when IU defeated the Nittany Lions for the first time in school history.

IU’s defense was the worst in the Big Ten. They weren’t much better compared to the five major football conferences — Big Ten, Big 12, SEC, PAC-12 and ACC.

To measure IU’s defensive struggles, consider the Hoosiers’ two most important defensive statistics: total defense and scoring defense.

IU gave up an average of 38.8 points per game. The mean in the Big Ten was 25.4. IU was 42 percent worse than the average.

In regards to total defense, IU gave up an average of 527.9 yards per game. The average in the Big Ten was 380. IU was 32 percent worse than the average.

Averaging the two numbers produces a value of 37 percent. This number will be called the Average Percentage Away from the Mean.

There was only one other team in the five major conferences with a worse APAM. IU has an APAM of 37, better only than California, which had an APAM of 38 in the PAC-12.

Out of the 60 teams in the five major football conferences, IU finished 59th.

California and IU were anomalies. No other team came close to an APAM in the high 30s.

The worst defense in the ACC was NC State, with an APAM of 15.

In the Big 12 it was Iowa State, which had an APAM of 23.

In the SEC it was Texas A&M, which also had an APAM of 23.

When looking more closely at California, the Golden Bears had a 1-11 record.  California and IU basically had the same APAM. Offensive prowess helped the Hoosiers finish 5-7.

IU’s offense ranked 11th nationally. The only Big Ten offense better was Ohio State, which is 12-0.

Against Michigan this year, IU scored 47 points. The Hoosiers still lost by 16 as the Wolverine offense hung 63 points on the Hoosier defense.

Plus, IU was close to earning that elusive sixth win twice this year. One more win would have sent the Hoosiers bowling for the first time in six years.

Against Minnesota, IU was down 42-39 on the Gopher nine-yard line when a pass from sophomore quarterback Nate Sudfeld to sophomore running back Tevin Coleman was ruled a backwards pass, and Coleman didn’t jump on the ball. Minnesota recovered the fumble and won the game.

Earlier in the season, Navy quarterback Keenan Reynolds converted a fourth down by inches to extend the Midshipmen drive. If he had come up a foot short, IU would have had the ball around midfield, down six, with enough time for a late Hoosier drive.
Navy converted and ran out the clock for victory.

The Hoosiers fell short in those two games, and finished the year 5-7. But the fact they were that close to a bowl game accentuates how good the offense was, and just how bad the defense was.

Follow reporter Evan Hoopfer on Twitter @EvanHoopfer.