Mousumi Shaw shows off jewelry

Angles Cafe & Gift Shop at the IU Art Museum had its fifth Meet the Designer event Wednesday afternoon with Mousumi Shaw, the founder and creative director of jewelry company Sikara.

Setting up her collection of jeweled necklaces, bracelets, rings and earrings in front of the cafe, Shaw displayed her work for visitors and passersby.

The prices for the jewelry on sale ranged from $50 to $200.

Shaw’s selection contained pieces that represented her interpretation of the cultural traditions and natural beauty of countries she had visited, such as India, Mexico, Italy, Egypt, Spain, Brazil and the United Kingdom.

One of the jewelry pieces, a colorful green and blue bracelet, was inspired by a peacock she encountered in India.

“Each of the constructs of jewelry I made are inspired by the exclusive visuals and beauty that I have witnessed in many different countries I have traveled to throughout the years,” Shaw said. “I like to take all the great memories I get from each of these countries and turn it into something that resembles my own cognitive
imagination.”

Shaw has had a lifetime of experience creating jewelry as she helped her mother, an immigrant from India, launch her own jewelry company in the United States when she was a teenager. After she graduated from high school, Shaw took a break from jewelry-making and attended the University of Pennsylvania and Harvard Business School.

Fourteen years after helping her mother, Shaw launched her own company, which incorporates her passions for art, jewelry and other cultures.

Today, she works with a team of inspirational designers that help create her collections, which she sells internationally.

“When going through these international collections, I feel I am able to take customers on a voyage, sharing the culture and history of each country,” Shaw said. “The Sikara company is considered modern fusion jewelry that stands as a reflection of my life as a first generation Indian-American.”