Locals gather for dancing

With practiced movements and twirling skirts, locals came together Wednesday night at the Harmony School to join in the tradition of Contra Dance.

This activity has taken place once a week from 8 to 10 p.m., since 1972.

These events, among others, are staged by the Bloomington Old-Time Music & Dance Group. Admission is $3 for members and $4 for non-members, but the first time is free.

David Ernst, board coordinator for BOTMDG, said contra dancing is a way to learn a traditional form of dance and get to know others in the community.

“It is a folk dance, and it’s been around for a long time, though it’s continuing to change,” Ernst said. “It’s akin to square dancing, but it’s done in different formation and done with a partner, but you switch partners between song so you get to interact with different people.”

Ernst said between 30 and 50 people attend the dance each week.

One of these people, returning contra dancer Casey Ellingsworth, said she has benefited from contra dancing because she has made many of her friends through the community.

“I’ve met so many characters through the group, and most of my close friends in Bloomington,” Ellingsworth said. “I see contra dancers almost anywhere I go around town, at the farmer’s market and various restaurants and even when running errands.”

Ellingsworth’s passion for contra dancing began with an invitation from her sister to her and her mother almost a decade ago.

“Both of us loved it and started driving an hour and a half each way to both of these dances each week,” Ellingsworth said. “My mom still drives in from west Terre Haute on a semi-regular basis to dance with me.”

Ernst said the group certainly has its regulars, but new members are always invited to join in on the festivities, especially because the first time is free, and lessons are offered 15 minutes prior to each session.

“There’s pretty much never a dance where we don’t have new people,” Ernst said.
New member or veteran, Ellingsworth said it’s the bonding experience that she looks forward to each week.

“One of my favorite things about contra dancing is that it is a community of all different kinds of people: different ages, different backgrounds. The only common thread is a love of contra dancing,” Ellingsworth said. “You can be in a line with someone as young as five or as old as 85.”

Ernst said dancers range from anywhere on the “adult spectrum,” but there’s “no telling who’s going to be the last one left dancing.”

Ellingsworth said people of all ages who are interested shouldn’t let the idea of having to learn the steps get in their way.

“I think it’s easy for people to see the dance and get intimidated,” Ellingsworth said. “The reality is that there’s a caller, who tells you exactly where to be, and a group of people who have a vested interest in getting you to the right place.

“We were all beginners once.”

Follow reporter Janica Kaneshiro on Twitter@janicakaneshiro.