Local shelter renovates, offers more space for clients

For local residents who might be experiencing setbacks from unemployment, financial losses or battling addictions and mental disorders, Martha’s House Inc. is available to help.

In 2002, the agency was founded as a year-round emergency shelter for residents of Bloomington, Monroe County and surrounding communities, and recently underwent an expansion at its main location.

In the last nine years, Martha’s House has reportedly provided shelter, food, clothing and personal hygiene products to 1,392 unduplicated residents and provided 36,748 nights of stay.

Earlier this week the agency celebrated an expansion of their main location, which Martha’s House President Bob Miller said is a major improvement for the amount of clients the shelter can house at one time.

Miller said the shelter expanded from 28 to 40 beds, doubling their capacity for women to 12. Last year the agency provided services to 407 different individuals, 70 percent of which were Monroe County residents.

Since this renovation and expansion, which was funded by a partnership with Perry Township and the City of Bloomington, Miller said the agency will continue to raise funds in order to keep Martha’s House operational.

“Grant funds and government funding sources are cutting back,” Miller said. “We’ve already seen it. Looking to the future, it has become increasingly clear that our community is going to have to take care of our own, on our own.”

Residents from Monroe, Lawrence and Owen counties can stay at the shelter for up to 90 days while they work to stabilize their lives. Likewise, the agency provides programs and services for their clients that include a job-training seminar, transportation services, a healthy living on budget program and a graduate self-sufficiency program.

In addition to these optional programs, the agency also provides weekly case management to help individuals gain or improve employment, find stable housing and access and navigate mainstream services.

Miller said last year 53 percent of their clients found or improved their employment, while 62 percent secured stable long-term housing.

Today, the organization is staging a fundraiser at 4:30 p.m. at Crazy Horse Food and Drink Emporium.

“The fundraiser is to help with the modest increase in our operating costs from the expansion,” Miller said. “We are simply asking people to make a contribution at the event.”

Adam Wason, communications director for the City of Bloomington, said the newest additions to Martha’s House will benefit the entire city.

“Bloomington is fortunate to have local social service agencies that do great work with little fanfare,” Wason said.

Wason said Martha’s House is an agency that does great work with little fanfare and assists those in need of temporary housing.

“The City of Bloomington congratulates Martha’s House in their efforts to expand their facility to serve more individuals experiencing
homelessness," Wason said.

Follow reporter Brett
Frieman on Twitter
@brttfrmn.