I don’t drink, you shouldn’t judge

Sobriety Shaming

Indiana University’s reputation as a traditional party school holds true.

As anyone who attends IU will tell you, we’re a No. 1 party destination for local college students.

People drive in from Muncie, West Lafayette, Indianapolis, Louisville, Ky., and many other college towns to experience the IU party scene.

And I am not a part of it.

That’s right.

I am an example of the “rare,” alcohol-free IU student. I have never consumed alcohol, and I never intend to.

And, sadly, it’s limited my college experience.

When I chose to come to IU, I did so because of the academics, the beauty of the campus and the liberal atmosphere.

We aren’t perfect here, but, for a state university, we’re damn near close in that regard.

However, when I came to Bloomington from my hometown of Valparaiso, Ind., there was a definite cultural shift revolving around drugs and drinking.

I come from a high school of 200 students.

None of my friends drank.

None of my friends smoked, cigarettes or otherwise.

We were kids that had no qualms about spending our Saturdays watching a stupid comedy or playing Risk or Magic: The Gathering.

We were content with just hanging out.

Since I came to IU — the sole member of my high school to do so — I’ve lost that aspect of my life. I can’t do anything here without being pressured to drink or judged when I refuse.

Now, I have no problems with drinking. It isn’t something I judge people for.

Your life, your choices.

I, however, am judged almost daily for my lifestyle choice.

I don’t drink, and I don’t go to parties because, honestly, being around drunk people isn’t one of my favorite hobbies.

Since I don’t drink, people feel that I’m prissy or stuck-up.

In reality, it’s just something I don’t want to do.

I’ve been told that I’m not a “real Hoosier” and that I “should transfer” if I don’t drink.

I’ve been told that I’m “never going to make friends.”

Truthfully, the reason it’s hard to meet people who don’t drink isn’t because they don’t exist.

It’s because the drinking culture at IU has stigmatized those who don’t participate, and they hide because of that.

In the same way you wouldn’t pressure someone to smoke cigarettes or try heroin, you shouldn’t pressure someone to drink.

And you shouldn’t judge them if they don’t partake.

It’s been incredibly difficult for me to make friends here because I don’t go to the Villas or to frat houses.

It’s still heartbreaking to hear potential employers sniff and make jokes about the “party school” I’m attending.

Drinking may be fun for some people, and that’s perfectly okay.

The drinking culture, however, stigmatizes the school and those who don’t drink.

And it needs to stop.

­— ajguenth@indiana.edu
Follow columnist Andrew Guenther on Twitter @GuentherAndrew.