sports cross-country

Cross country wins men's Big Ten Title

The men’s cross-country team won its first Big Ten Championship in 33 years this weekend in Lafayette, Ind.

Freshman Jason Crist was the first runner to cross for the Hoosiers, placing fifth with a time of 24 minutes and 24 seconds.

IU Coach Ron Helmer said he was pleased with how the men ran on Sunday.

“I couldn’t be happier. I was extremely proud of them,” Helmer said.

Indiana had three other runners who finished in the top 10.

Junior Rorey Hunter, freshman Carl Smith and sophomore Matt Swchwartzer were the other runners who helped lead the pack for the Hoosiers.

Hunter finished in seventh place with Smith right behind him in eighth. Swchwartzer crossed the finish line in 10th place to help the Hoosiers score 51 points, which was 15 points fewer than second place Michigan.

“We knew we had a chance, but we knew we couldn’t make any mistakes,” Helmer said. “For a bunch of young guys to go out and run like they did, we did a great job.”

Crist and Hunter were awarded First Team All-Big Ten Honors for finishing in the top seven. Smith and Schwartzer received second team all-conference.

On paper, the women were predicted to place fourth but instead finished two spots lower than expected.

Senior Samantha Ginther was awarded First Team All-Big Ten Honors for her seventh place finish. Ginther helped the women place sixth at the Big Ten Championships.

“On the women’s side we didn’t do as well,” Helmer said.

Ginther was the only runner to finish the 6-kilometer race in the top 10 with a time of 21 minutes and eight seconds.

Freshman Amanda Behnke finished second for the Hoosiers, placing 24th overall.
Junior Kelsey Duerksen placed 34th right in front of junior Brianna Johnson who placed 35th.

Senior Erica Ridderman was the fifth Hoosier to finish at 58th overall.

The next competition for the Hoosiers is the NCAA Great Lakes Regional on Nov. 15 in Madison, Wis.

The men’s team can build on the momentum it gained in the Big Ten Championships to help prepare them for the regional competition.

“The work ethic is there,” Helmer said. “The want to is there. We just need to keep ourselves going.”