arts performances

Communion coming to Bluebird

The Bluebird Nightclub’s doors open at 7 p.m. for Communion, a show that got its start in Europe but is now headlining on the second Tuesday of every month in Bloomington and other cities across the United States.

Communion features artists Savoir Adore, On an On, The Night Sweats, 4 on the Floor, Kam Kama and Skeleton Men and headliner Tennis.

Tennis is an indie-pop band from Denver. The band is composed of married couple Alaina Moore and Patrick Riley, who play the guitar and keyboard respectively.

They have three studio albums together, 2011’s “Cape Dory,” 2012’s “Young & Old” and 2013’s “Small Sound.”

Small sound is a five-song EP released for the Communion tour.

Music is set to start at 7:30 p.m., and Dave Kubiak, Bluebird Nightclub owner, said there will be a quick turnaround between acts to give the audience “a chance to see several acts back-to-back in one place.”

Communion began in 2006 and was founded by Mumford and Sons member Ben Lovett.

Since it’s conception, “‘Communion Presents’ shows have taken place across the UK in Brighton, Bristol, Leeds, Manchester, Leeds, York, Oxford, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dublin and Belfast, and internationally in Melbourne, Nashville, San Francisco and New York City,” according to Communion’s British website.

In the 2013 tour, cities such as Nashville, Tenn., New York, N.Y., Louisville, Ky., and Bloomington are featured on the U.S. leg of the tour.

Despite its varying acts, Communion prides itself on its “eclectic chaos,” according to its website.

Communion featured artists such as Mumford and Sons, Noah and the Whale and Peggy Sue at the beginning of their careers, and they pride themselves in “showcasing acts on the cusp of making it,” according to Kubiak.

“It’s a great way to see great new music,” Kubiak said.

Follow reporter Janica Kaneshiro on Twitter @janicakaneshiro.