Volunteers help residents sign up for health care

Local Hoosiers gathered at Monroe County Public Library Wednesday to become more informed about recent changes to the Affordable Care Act.

The event was organized by IU Health Bloomington Hospital, the City of Bloomington and Affordable Care Act Volunteers of Monroe County.

The meeting was focused on educating and spreading awareness of the ACA and maximizing health insurance coverage for Bloomington residents.

More than 40 residents attended the event, which served as a kickoff to what is intended to become a weekly meeting until March 2014.

The ACA, originally signed into law in 2010, establishes state-based health insurance exchanges that are regulated online marketplaces administered by either federal or state government.

As of Tuesday, uninsured individuals and small businesses can purchase private insurance plans under the ACA.

David Meyer, an ACA volunteer organizer, said this is crucial for the 15,000 residents of Monroe County who are currently uninsured.

Meyer said this 12 percent of the population are in need of information about the health insurance options that exist for them.

“Very few of those who are uninsured are aware of the financial support that is available to help with costs,” Meyer said.

He said some people don’t even know of their options.

“Many of them also have never had health insurance and don’t know where to begin or how health insurance works,” Meyer said.

The group’s mission is to support Monroe County and Indiana communities by expanding knowledge and awareness of the ACA to minimize the number of residents without health insurance coverage.

Meyer, who spent a month organizing the event, said the group’s focus is to refer clients to appropriate organizations that can further assist the uninsured as well as train volunteers to help the group’s cause.

Volunteers work as informers by distributing ACA marketplace information to the community through flyers and social media.

ACA volunteer Linda Mongold said this meeting is intended to be the first of many as a continuing way to keep the community informed about the ACA and the changes that will continue to come with it.

“These volunteers are going to help people who have not had health insurance to get them to sign up for health care that starts in January,” Mongold said. “Most people who need insurance don’t even know about it.”

Mongold said the group has started informing the community three months before the new health care plan begins in January because the sign up date ends Dec. 15.

“We’re hoping to make this a weekly thing for community members to learn more about health care options available for them,” Mongold said. “It’s important for people to be updated on.”

Follow reporter Brett Frieman on Twitter @brttfrmn.