Keep an open headlock

When I was a kid, Friday nights didn’t involve any partying. They involved a smackdown.

My childhood, like many others’, I assume, was stocked full of professional wrestling.

I stumbled upon a wrestling match a couple of weeks ago.

At first, I was skeptical of grown men acting like they were actually wrestling in front of thousands of people. But the more I watched, the more invested I became. Suddenly, I was on the edge of my couch for every match. My heart was beating out of control.

And in those moments, I missed it.

I didn’t miss professional wrestling. I missed the innocent, forgiving mindset we all have as kids.

When I watched years ago, I had no idea it was scripted. I was convinced this was the most realistic fighting there was. I rode an emotional roller coaster each match, developing bonds with professional wrestlers.

But as I sat watching the first match I’d seen in 10 years, I was initially critical. Growing up had forced me to question, condemn and disapprove of something I had loved as a child.

Professional wrestling has everything that you would want — entertainment, sport and heroes. Yet, we can’t respectfully watch it because it’s not “real.”

I know it’s scripted, and that’s part of why I love it. I know my grandpa tells me the same stories over and over again, and that’s part of why I love him.

If we can overlook someone’s flaws and accept them for who they are, people would learn to be more tolerant. We learn to not watch wrestling because it isn’t real just like we learn to not like a neighbor because he or she mowed too close to the lot line.

We’re judgemental and cynical. Everyone has an ulterior motive. Everything isn’t as good as it seems. We think we’ve seen everything and can’t take it for what it’s worth.

If everyone channeled the mindset of a kid whose favorite wrestler is about to be pinned, the world would be a more passionate, better place.

Professional wrestling is undoubtedly fake. But that shouldn’t relegate it to obscurity. The significance isn’t if it’s real or fake. It’s what you make out of it.

You can make a great relationship with something or someone with flaws. We need to stop focusing on the negatives and just love people for the brilliance they provide.

So when Hulk Hogan is jumping off of the top ropes, will he actually land on his opponent or will he fake it? Personally, I don’t care.

I’m going to close my eyes and cheer, loving every minute of it.

­— lewicole@indiana.edu
Follow columnist Cole Lewis on Twitter @ColeThenLewis.