IU alumna remembered for love of children

CAROUSELciCarbon

IU alumna Lindsey O’Brien Kesling was only 22 years old when she passed away from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in November 2010. But that didn’t stop her family from carrying on her legacy.

The Boys and Girls Club of Bloomington partnered with the Lindsey O’Brien Kesling Wishing Tree Foundation and First Alert to organize a carbon monoxide awareness event Monday. The goal of the event was to educate families affiliated with the Boys and Girls Club on the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Emma Falender, director of operations intern for the Boys and Girls Club, said the event was geared toward parents.

“We’re encouraging them to sign a petition for legislators to pass a law to make it mandatory for carbon monoxide detectors to be installed in homes,” Falender said.

Those who signed the petition received a complementary carbon monoxide detector courtesy of First Alert.

Features at the event included a DVD presentation on carbon monoxide safety as well a tour of a fire truck and safety tips from the Bloomington Fire Department.

This event was the second of eight that will take place until next month by the LOK Wishing Tree Foundation. The final event will take place in Scottsdale, Ariz., on Nov. 2, the location where Lindsey passed away.

Lindsey’s family created the Foundation three years ago after her passing.
Because Lindsey was a big sister in the Boys and Girls Club, the Foundation has continued to work closely with the organization.

In addition to working with the Boys and Girls Club for this year’s first annual carbon monoxide awareness event, the Foundation also created the Lindsey O’Brien Kesling Performing Arts Program through the Club.

By setting up online fundraisers, the LOK Wishing Tree Foundation has started offering academic scholarships for art students in the Monroe County Community School Corporation who are also a member of the Boys and Girls Club.

Tri-North Middle School student Charlie Brown was a recipient of one of the Foundation’s scholarships this year.

Brown said when he first started playing the violin three years ago it was more for recreation. After taking lessons and practicing with the Boys and Girls Club, however, Brown got the opportunity to perform at the Monroe County Public Library, which he said was a defining moment in his musical career.

“Ever since I put on the concert, it opened so many doors for me,” Brown said. “I’ve gotten a lot better at the violin over the years.”

Brown’s interest in the violin became greater after being exposed to an electrical violin performance through the LOK Performing Arts Program.

Dot Kesling, Lindsey’s mother, said the Foundation’s performing arts program’s goal is to allow “kids to watch incredible live performances in professional caliber which they otherwise may normally not get to see.”

“Not only do these performers come in and perform for the children, but after the performances the kids get to talk to them and ask questions,” Kesling said.

The program also offers theatre and performance workshops during the summer for students to attend. Kesling said the Foundation offers this program because it’s a well-rounded representation of what Lindsey’s passions were.

After Lindsey became inspired from a wishing tree she saw while traveling in England, the Kesling family planted a tri-colored beech tree in honor of her in LaPorte, Ind., her hometown. The Foundation uses a wishing tree as their symbol to represent the group’s mission and desire to help make young artists’ wishes come true.

“Lindsey had the ability to live out her dreams,” Kesling said. “She lived larger in her 22 years of life than most adults I know. She embraced everybody she came in contact with and was very effervescent.”

Follow reporter Brett Frieman on Twitter @brttfrmn.