Hooping, flow arts showcased in exercise group

When graduate student Stephanie Poppe isn’t studying, she can be found hoop dancing with other members of the Hudsucker Posse, a local hoop dance and exercise group.

Poppe said hoop dancing falls under the category of flow arts, or the connection between the movement of the body and another object. Poppe spoke with the IDS about her experiences with the Hudsucker Posse.

IDS Why get involved with the Hudsucker Posse?

Stephanie Poppe I first got involved because I went to Indiana’s first flow fest, “Peace Love HOOPINESS,” about two months ago on a whim.
I didn’t even know about hooping or flow culture, but I wanted to check out this cool sounding festival that was in Brown County, and I just connected.
I met so many lovely people, and somebody gave me my first hoop there. I took a workshop from Clara Kallner about finding your flow, and even though I was awful, she invited me out to the Sunday jams (in Bloomington).
I didn’t know anybody there, but I figured people that play with hula hoops were probably good and open-minded, so I checked it out and have been a regular since.

IDS What do you enjoy most about hoop dancing and flow arts?

Poppe Connecting with another object in space and understanding how to manipulate my body to complement the hoop’s natural motion has really forced me to connect with myself.
I’m training to become a designer, and we talk about flow a lot, but it’s more in a work-like setting — how to get to that zen-like state of doing. Hooping has been a way for me to connect with that part of myself, and I feel like it makes me a better designer.
It’s also a great cognitive break.
I had really been neglecting myself as far as exercise, meditating and letting my mind rest. Hooping is a way to stay physically active with mental rest. I started caring more about myself and my connection to the rest of the world.

IDS Elaborate on the exercise part of hooping.

Poppe The reason for it being such great exercise is because it really engages your whole body but specifically your core because you have to maintain constant steady movement at the sections of your body that you want the hoop to be.
Most people want it on the hips because that’s the most common position. However, you can transition to different moves to engage different parts of your body.
It’s always important to stretch before and after. Much like any sport, you don’t want to just jump in with cold muscles because injuries can happen more easily.

Follow reporter Olivia Williams on Twitter @obwillia.