Fraternities compete in BMOC

CAROUSELcaBMOC

Twenty-eight men competed for the title of Big Man on Campus in an all-male talent show Friday. This event, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority’s annual philanthropy, is considered the largest single-house philanthropic effort in the country.

In total, Zeta raised $175,003.16 to benefit the NFL Pink Ribbon Project and the IU School of Medicine for further breast cancer research, said IU junior Aly Ricker, Zeta philanthropy chair.

Sophomore Joe Weber of Theta Chi was crowned Big Man on Campus. Weber performed a compilation of Miley Cyrus and Hannah Montana songs on
guitar.

All contestants were members of an Interfraternity Council fraternity or the Evans Scholars.

Each one had a “sorority coach,” someone to help them with their routines or help raise additional funds.

The men had to do weeks of fundraising prior to the event, Ricker said. They raised money in the form of online donations, canning, ticket and T-shirt sales, and the percentage of attendants who showed up to support a specific contestant, at the actual event.

Funds and sales converted into points added to each contestant’s overall score. Talent show contestants were judged on stage presence, skill level and creativity.

Junior Kyle O’Neil from Phi Kappa Sigma performed a dance routine featuring “Bust A Move,” while donning Americana pants.

“This is a great event because it gets representatives from every house together,” O’Neil said.

On a recent trip to Chicago, O’Neil said he was surprised at how omniscient Zeta’s pink ribbons were at the Bears game.

“It’s amazing how universal the pink ribbons are,” O’Neil said. “ZTA ribbons were all over Soldier Field.”

Some other acts included musical performances, dance routines and a comedic routine. DJ Prather of Kappa Alpha Psi performed an original rap he wrote, which as about breast cancer and Big Man on Campus.

Many of the performances were dedicated to a close family member or friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Dan Kuchan and Chris Nardi of Alpha Tau Omega dedicated their performance to Nardi’s mom who was diagnosed two years ago.

Sophomore Tobie Lapin of Sigma Delta Tau read an essay she wrote about the importance of breast cancer research and finding a cure. Her mother passed away 11 years ago from a rare form of breast cancer called inflammatory breast cancer.

This is more difficult to detect than regular breast cancer because there is no lump, Lapin said.

Lapin reminisced of her mom and the importance of making an effort to remember her.

“You never know when these special moments will be taken away from you,” she said. “Even the memories that don’t make a lot of impact on our lives are the ones we may forget in the future.”

“I love you, Mommy” was the last thing Lapin said to her mom before she died. “I am grateful each day for my choice to give her that message, because if I could re-live that night, I would have done the very same thing.”

Follow reporter Tori Lawhorn on Twitter @ToriLawhorn.