sports field hockey

FH seniors look to leave impression

CAROUSELIU v Radford

On Sunday, the IU field hockey seniors played their final home game of their careers, defeating in-state rival Ball State 6-1.

IU Coach Amy Robertson said this year’s group of seniors has been a key to building the program throughout the last four years.

The five seniors were a part of the IU team that defeated nationally ranked Northwestern in the Big Ten tournament last season 4-0, which ended Northwestern’s hopes of an appearance in the NCAA Tournament.

Senior forward Mariella Grote was a big factor in that match. She scored two goals and led the Hoosiers to one of the biggest upsets in program history.

Grote said the Northwestern game was one of the moments that she will never forget as a player.

“We came in as the underdog,” she said. “It was a great feeling. Not only did we beat them, but we beat them by four goals and didn’t allow them to score.”

Grote said since arriving in Bloomington as a freshman, she has gained a lot of friendships and taken a lot of pride from the field hockey program.

“The responsibility and the pride that you take being a member of this program is awesome,” Grote said. “I formed relationships with a lot of players and coaches.”

Robertson said Grote is one of the most competitive players she has ever coached.
“Mariella is a gamer,” Robertson said. “She wants to win. She will do whatever it takes to try to get the ball in the net. She sees it as her job to score goals.”

Redshirt senior defender Hannah Boyer has been the Hoosiers’ vocal leader throughout her time with the program.

Boyer, who is from Louisville, was a member of the last IU field hockey team to make an NCAA Tournament appearance, which is something that Boyer said she will always remember.

“During my freshman year when I was redshirt, I was on the team that almost won a Big Ten championship,” Boyer said. “To see those girls get to go to the NCAA tournament is something to this day that I cannot describe.”

Robertson said Boyer’s emotion has been something that has driven her since joining the Hoosiers five seasons ago.

“She wants it so bad,” Robertson said. “She wants it so bad. She is the quarterback for our team out there. She organizes the defense and wants to play a big role on offense, although her position limits her offensive contributions. She has matured and led the team on the field and off of the field. Her impact is immeasurable.”

Senior forward Emily Bowker has made a big impact this season, recording a career-high five assists in 2013.

Bowker said she will never forget her first game as a Hoosier.

“I still remember my first time stepping onto the field,” she said. “The National Anthem was playing, my name and hometown being announced, and I was finally playing Division-I field hockey. Those first moments before a game, standing with 22 girls who had become my best friends was such a rewarding experience.”

Bowker suffered an injury midway through the season and bounced back immediately, wearing a cast and starting the next game.

Robertson said Bowker’s performance has been a key to the Hoosiers’ success this season.

“She has improved her assertiveness and grown more confident,” she said. “When she was wearing the cast, it was almost as if she wasn’t. She was playing so comfortable, and she was still generating a lot for us during those games.“

Senior forward Gaby Olshemski has become one of the biggest leaders on the team, Robertson said.

Olshemski has struggled with injuries throughout her IU career, which is something Robertson said has made her grow as a player.

“Gaby is a player who has had to overcome a lot of adversity,” Robertson said. “She had to get hip surgery as a freshman. Through all of the injuries, Gaby has always fought back and helped contribute in a positive way. To see her healthy this entire season has been great.”

Olshemski, who grew up playing basketball and even set a high school record with eight 3-pointers in a game, said the popularity of basketball at IU was something that factored into her college decision.

“When I came to visit, I knew IU was a basketball school,” Olshemski said. “I’ve really enjoyed going to basketball games.”

Senior back Danielle McNally has been a key player for the Hoosiers since joining the team four seasons ago.

McNally has started in all 67 matches she has appeared in, including starting 17 games as a freshman. McNally still remembers her first game at the Division-I level and said Senior Day was very emotional for her.

“I still remember being a freshman and stepping onto the field for my first game,” McNally said. “It’s very bittersweet. It is great that we won. We’ve been through a lot together, and to play our final home game together is difficult.”

McNally has become a leader for the Hoosiers, and Robertson praised McNally for constantly pushing the team to get better.

“She is a fierce competitor,” she said. “You’re never going to get less than everything she has.”

As a back, McNally doesn’t normally get a lot of scoring opportunities, although she has scored a career-high seven goals this season. Robertson said McNally has a good ability to score, and she could do it consistently if called to do so.

“She plays in a role where she is relied on to get the ball behind the goalkeeper,” Robertson said. “We have been playing in a system this year where she has a chance to get into the attack more than previous seasons.”

The seniors have one more regular season game remaining on their schedule on Nov. 3 at Michigan. They will try to extend their season when the Big Ten Tournament starts Nov. 7.

Follow reporter Dan Matney on Twitter @DanMatney.