Carmel, Ind. litigator addresses IFC on identifying hazing behaviors

Hoosiers, not Hazers.

This message is being displayed on numerous IU Greek houses in honor of National Hazing Prevention Week.

Last week, IFC and IUSA Culture of Care representatives distributed informational fliers, tank tops and stickers discussing the consequences and prevention of hazing.

On Monday, IFC sponsored a presentation called “Hazing on Trial” at the Whittenberger Auditorium.

Dave Westol, an attorney from Carmel, Ind., who specializes in the litigation surrounding hazing incidents, led the presentation.

Westol has worked with more than 200 IFC councils and tours the country giving his presentation at other universities.

Westol spoke about hazing litigation but specifically focused on identifying hazing behavior.

He gave one example of new members of a sorority who were made to curtsy every time they saw another member. This allowed senior members to exert a sense of entitled control, he said.

Hazing is any situation that intends to humiliate, harass or intimidate a member, he said.

“This keeps the brightest young men and women from joining your chapters,” Westol said.

He stressed the consequences of hazing. Not only can chapters be fined, but they can also lose their charter, leaving alumni members homeless when they come to visit campus.

“This was our capstone for the effort with Culture of Care, though this event specifically focused on the Greek community,” said Ben Weisel, IFC vice president of risk management and IU senior.

Not only was this an informational presentation, but also a form of risk-management training, Weisel said.

“We need to have the people that are influencing change in their respective houses here so they can get that information and implement them into their houses,” he said.

Weisel estimated at least five members from all 33 IU Interfraternity Council fraternities attended the presentation.

The fraternities were encouraged to bring their younger members in addition to their executive boards.

“We want to create a lasting impression on the younger members,” Weisel said. “We need to seed this information as deep as we can.”

He said the IFC is also making an effort to check in with the individual chapters every so often to monitor their progress, and he hopes Westol’s presentation will implement a change within the Greek community.

“They need the knowledge that their liability starts and ends at a certain point,” he said. “We want this presentation to be a catalyst to a new start.”

Follow Greek life reporter Tori Lawhorn on Twitter @ToriLawhorn.