sports men's soccer

Hoosiers open Big Ten play Sunday against Ohio State at home

Just four weeks ago, the IU men’s soccer team sat atop nearly every major college soccer poll, tabbed by many as the team to beat in the country this season.

After Wednesday’s overtime loss to No. 23 Butler — IU’s fourth in five extra-time matches this season — the Hoosiers have fallen to 3-4-1 and did not receive a vote in the most recent National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) poll.

IU has not entered the Big Ten season with a losing record since 2003.

That will change Sunday when the Hoosiers begin their quest for a Big Ten Conference championship with a home matchup against Ohio State.

Senior defender Patrick Doody said Sunday’s game and the start of conference play will mark the start of a new season for his team.

“It’s a new season,” Doody said. “Big Ten’s a completely new season. We’re excited for Sunday, and we’re moving on. Plenty of season left.”

Sunday’s matchup with Ohio State will feature two teams that have struggled early this season. Along with the Hoosiers’ inconsistency, the Buckeyes come to Bloomington off consecutive losses to Dayton and No. 10 Akron, having secured a victory in only one of their past six matches.

IU has dominated the series throughout its history, collecting more victories over Ohio State than any other program. The Hoosiers have compiled a record of 37-4-3 in the all-time series, outscoring the Buckeyes 95-24 in the process.

The Hoosiers struggled in conference play last season, playing to a record of 3-2-1 and a tie for third place. After a strong start, winning its first three Big Ten clashes, IU faltered late, falling to Michigan and Michigan State before ending the season with a draw against Northwestern. IU was then eliminated in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament, again losing to Michigan State.

Freshman forward Tommy Thompson, who is tied with Femi Hollinger-Janzen as the team’s leading goalscorer, said the Hoosiers feel confident in their chances this
season.

“We get a fresh start with the Big Ten,” Thompson said. “We’re looking to win the whole thing, go undefeated in that, and just not look back to these first couple games. We just have to find a way to win in the last couple minutes.”

Sunday’s game between IU and Ohio State will kick off at 3 p.m. at Bill Armstrong
Stadium.

Follow reporter Alden Woods on Twitter @acw9293.