student life

Catholic center houses Rosh Hashanah

CAROUSELcaRoshHashanah

A light brown ark containing the Torah stood behind the altar in the Catholic church.
Crosses were covered, and stars of David were placed over Holy Water fonts.

The St. Paul Catholic Center was now ready for this year’s Rosh Hashanah services.

Sundown on Wednesday night marked the beginning of Rosh Hashanah, one of the holiest holidays on the Jewish calendar.

The St. Paul Catholic Center opened its doors for more than 1,000 Jewish students during Wednesday evening’s services.

The Helene G. Simon Hillel center has offered reform and conservative services at the Catholic Center annually for more than a decade.

“We take our ark, Torahs, and Hebrew prayer books to St. Paul’s and open the doors to everyone,” said Rabbi Sue Laikin Silberberg, executive director of Hillel at Indiana University.

Hillel’s Rosh Hashanah services took place at the IU Auditorium until renovations in 1997 forced Hillel to find a meeting place elsewhere.

Sophomore Talla Greenbaum said she was initially surprised when she heard that the holiday services would be held at a Catholic Church.

“They were respectful enough to cover up the cross and the offering,” Greenbaum said.
Silberberg said some Jewish students may have attended holiday services in other churches before, in their home communities.

“Some students are grateful to the Catholic Center and some are uncomfortable practicing there,” Silberberg said.

She said the Jewish student population on campus has quadrupled in the last 10 years.

“Our building is wonderful in so many ways,” she said. “But it’s too small.”
Associate Pastor Father Simon-Felix Michaelski, OP has been with St. Paul’s Catholic Center for more than a year.

“We love that they come here, and we’re honored to have this great relationship,” Michaelski said.

Michaelski and Silberberg both belong to the Campus Religious Leaders Association, a professional organization of community religious leaders.

“Together, we connect to the University and our students,” Silberberg said. “We coordinate events while respecting and promoting diversity within the community. ”

Rosh Hashanah marks the Jewish calendar’s new year. It began at sundown Wednesday and ends Friday at sundown.

It also marks the start of a 10-day period, ending with Yom Kippur on Sept. 13.

“Tradition tells us that on Rosh Hashanah you should begin to think about what you’ve done wrong in the past year and ask forgiveness from the people you’ve wronged,”
Silberberg said.

A festive meal at the Helene G. Simon Hillel center Wednesday night catered more than 250 students.

The center’s head cook, Charity Hall has prepared the Rosh Hashanah fest for the past six years.

“It’s been a little hectic,” she said. “I started making Challah and desserts the night before to prepare for it.”

Traditional dishes for Rosh Hashanah include apples and honey, round challah bread and kugel, a baked Jewish casserole.

This afternoon, Hillel members will symbolically cast off their wrongdoings by throwing bread into the Jordan River.

“It is the time for a fresh start, to meet a lot of students,” Silberberg said. “It’s a way to connect them with their Judaism.”

Follow reporter Matt Bloom on Twitter @matthew_bloom.