Hot discussion about cold beer

Indiana is currently the only state that regulates the sale of beer by temperature. The state law only allows liquor stores to sell packaged cold beer, while convenience and grocery stores are only permitted to sell their beer at room temperature.

In May, the Indiana Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association filed a lawsuit against the state, claiming their guidelines are irrational.

The IPCA argued the law is in violation of the equal protection clause of the United States Constitution and is not treating all businesses fairly, according to an article from WXIN.

Although the current law imposes different standards for businesses selling the same products, the debate had been ongoing before the lawsuit was filed.

Former Sahara Mart employee and recent IU graduate Michael Herrick said that the family aspect that grocery stores provide, along with the current restriction of not allowing minors on premises where cold beer is sold, is a substantial factor for why this is a continuing issue.

“Sahara Mart, like many other stores, is a family-friendly place, and with the current state restrictions of ‘the inability to allow minors on premise’ due to the sale of cold beer, families would feel detracted from the small business, family appeal of it,” Herrick said.

Grocery and convenience stores are allowed to sell cold wine under state code, but the allowance of stores to sell all alcoholic drinks cold could come at a higher price to grocery and convenience stores.

Jim James, owner of liquor store chain 21st Amendment, said his chain plans on joining the lawsuit with the state, if allowed to. James, who operates 19 stores across the state, said that if these businesses want the state to rule in favor for them, then they must be willing to play by the same rules as liquor stores.

James said most regular store licenses are $1,000, while his liquor stores have to pay up to $200,000 or $300,000 for one.

James also said some restrictions for liquor stores require employees be 21 or older, licensed to sell alcohol, with staff attending training twice a year. He said a majority of grocery and convenience stores do not have to follow the same requirements.

“They want all the privileges we have,” James said. “We don’t care if they sell cold beer, we care that if they sell it, they have to do it the same way we do.”