Five things every student should know about IUSA

With the start of a new academic year comes a new administration for the Indiana University Student Association, the University’s student government.
The first IU Student Council was appointed in 1912 and has undergone name and organizational changes throughout the years. In 1974, the group was given its current name. Elections are held in the spring to determine leadership for the following academic year.

The administration has many initiatives planned for the semester, including Culture of Care, the Diversity Lecture Series, SafeRide and more.

Here are five things every student should know about their representatives.

1) Student advocacy
Jose Mitjavila, student body president, said the primary role of IUSA is to advocate for students on a campus-wide scale.

The current administration aims to increase that advocacy by involving more students in decision-making processes across campus. Mitjavila said he invites students to attend committee meetings across campus.

2) Meet the president
This year’s executive ticket is led by Mitjavila, a senior, who was elected last spring as part of the YOUniversity ticket.
He has been involved in IUSA since his freshman year, when he worked on an election campaign. He worked in the communications department of IUSA his sophomore year and became head of communications his junior year. 

3) The structure
IUSA is organized as a system that mirrors the United States government, complete with three branches and supporting committees. Here’s the breakdown:
The executive branch holds sixty members, as well as student interns, with executive members such as the president, vice president of administration, vice president of congress and treasurer.

The legislative branch, or Congress, represents various schools and housing locations on campus. The members are responsible for passing the resolutions that IUSA puts into action.

The judicial branch serves as the IUSA Supreme Court. Each of the 11 justices and the Chief Justice are appointed by the student body president.

4) How to become an intern  
The administration will be adding more students in the coming weeks through its Freshman Internship Program
.
The Internship Program is a semester-long course that allows interested students to work in-depth with the current administration.

Each intern is given a mentor who is a member of the executive staff and will work closely with their specific department. During the second half of the semester, the interns will be enrolled in a class in which they will learn about the importance of IUSA and campus leadership.

Mitjavila said in an email that the internship program is one way for students to get involved with IUSA.

“It’s a great opportunity for incoming freshmen to get involved in student government, get leadership experience and familiarize yourself with campus and the over 700 different student organizations on it,” he said.

5) How to reach them
Senior staff members hold office hours from 7p.m. to 9p.m. Mondays in the IMU Student Activities Tower, suite 387.
Students are invited to chat with their student government leaders to address issues or concerns they might have on campus.
You can find more information about how to get involved and interact with your student government representatives at their website, iusa.indiana.edu.

Follow IUSA reporter Holly Hays on Twitter @hv_hays.