academics & research

New ranking for IU released

In a recently released 50-school ranking by the College Database, “50 U.S. Colleges Where Art Programs Abound,” IU ranked sixth in the nation for the number of degree programs available in the fine arts, according to a press release.

The Bloomington campus offers 18 degree-granting programs in the fine arts.

“We are delighted to be recognized as a place where arts resources and opportunities flourish,” Paul Brown, director of the Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts and an associate professor of graphic design, said in the release. “It is an indication of the interest in and support of the arts in the College of Arts and Sciences and myriad schools and departments on this campus.

“In addition, it is verification of the quality of the programs, students and faculty at Indiana University Bloomington and the schools, departments and programs that support the arts,” Brown said.

The five schools ranking above IU include New York University, Suffolk University, Northwestern University, University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth and Lindenwood University.

The ranking lists only fully accredited, nonprofit degree-granting institutions. The ranking does not include performing arts degrees.

The ranking was created using data gathered through the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System, according to the release. The system is the primary federal source for information on U.S. universities, colleges and technical and vocational post-secondary schools.

IU’s ranking was calculated using the fine and studio arts management degrees available through the School of Public and Environmental Affairs, art teacher education degrees through the School of Education, theater arts and stagecraft degrees through the Department of Theatre and Drama, the recording arts technology degree available through the Jacobs School of Music and art studies, studio arts and art history degrees through the Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts, according to the release.

The Department of Theatre and Drama and The School of Fine Arts are part of the College of Arts and Sciences.

– Makenzie Holland