arts performances

Amethyst House organizes benefit concert at Buskirk-Chumley

FROM IDS REPORTS

Gambling, drug abuse and alcohol addiction are just a few habits Bloomington’s Amethyst House aims to eradicate from the community.

To kickstart its upcoming programs, Amethyst House will rent out the Buskirk-Chumley Theater at 7 p.m. Sept. 21 for a benefit concert named “From Shadows to Light.”

Local musicians Carrie Newcomer, Scott Russell Sanders, Joe O’Connell and Kate Long will perform at the event to raise money for the not-for-profit sober living facility.

The Buskirk-Chumley regularly rents out its space to local businesses and nonprofit organizations for events such as this.

Cost of the use of the theater is either covered by the BEAD Grant program or the Buskirk-Chumley’s Movie Partner Project.

In 2012 alone, eight separate events raised a combined $233,000 for participating local organizations, according to a Buskirk-Chumley press release.

This will be one of just a few current fundraisers for Amethyst House this year, along with its Capital Campaign and Homeward Bound 5K Walk.

Donations to the Capital Campaign will help fund the repair of the facility’s roof and chimney.

The Homeward Bound 5K Walk raised more than $8,500 for local homelessness prevention.

Amethyst House was originally established as Ray of Love in August 1980.

The founders of the sober living house were recovering community members who saw a need for safe housing for other recovering addicts, according to the center’s website.

The organization’s name was changed in 1989 to Amethyst House, Inc. to reflect the detoxifying properties of the gemstone amethyst.

Tickets for the benefit event are now on sale to the public and range from $20 to $100 depending on seating locations inside the theater.

To purchase tickets, guests can go to buskirkchumley.org or visit the Buskirk-Chumley Theater box office during its business hours.

Amanda Jacobson