Project School festival helps to pay lease

entCarnivalGirlsINC

A rainy Friday almost washed out a major fundraiser for one local school.

Originally set to take place outdoors at Third Street Park Saturday afternoon, Bloomington Project School’s FunRaise the Rent parade, carnival and live auction event was relocated to Girls Inc., on 1108 W. Eighth St., to keep participants dry.

The Project School announced Friday afternoon that the location of the Saturday event was changed to Girls Inc. because of rainy weather.

This year’s FunRaise the Rent was the second-annual fundraiser for the tuition-free charter school, helping to pay rental fees and general operating costs for the school.

Included in the school’s festivities Saturday were a costume parade around the Girls Inc. building and a carnival featuring tabletop bowling, face painting, target games and live music and art performers. The day ended with a live auction of prizes submitted by area businesses.

Some of the items for auction included a dinner date with Herald-Times editor Bob Zaltsberg, a Starbucks Coffee gift basket and an IU men’s watch donated by the IU Alumni Association.

The Project School hoped to raise enough funds this year to offset the $88,000 yearly rental payment the school makes as part of its long-term lease with the City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation department.

A grand total of the proceeds from this year’s event has yet to be totaled and released by the school.
­
— Amanda Jacobson