Tokenism, stereotypes on ‘Glee’

One of my co-workers wrote an excellent column earlier this week on the abomination we like to call “Glee.”

It took me back two years to when I was first writing for the Indiana Daily Student as an opinion columnist. I published a piece titled “Gleeful Ignorance” that listed all the reasons I hate Fox’s “Glee” and everything it stands for.

It was well-received, not by die-hard Gleeks, of course, but by those who agreed with me that “Glee” is an abomination. The editorial is, to this day, the No. 1 hit on my blog site just from those who Google the phrase “I hate Glee.”

Though this topic seems trite, the representation of LGBT characters in the series has always been overly simplistic, irresponsible and perpetuating of stereotypes.

The show is underdeveloped in the strides it aims to take toward progression and topical issues, and, four seasons later, I stand by my opinion with a new bone to pick.
On April 11, the most recent installment of “Glee” decided to tackle the issue of school shootings, using Becky, the only character on the show with Down syndrome, as the one who brought the weapon.

I didn’t see the episode, and I no longer watch the show, but it once again brought to my attention the insensitive and tactless nature of the show.

I half-expected it to be one of their queer characters, as the show has a knack for demonizing queerness and misinterpreting queer culture in a transphobic and biphobic way.

To use Becky for the shootings was not only a poor choice for the development of that character but also ill-timed in light of the Newtown shootings.

Similarly, the show’s central gay character, Kurt, has inauthentically carried several bully-themed episodes shortly after the gay suicide epidemic and the launch of the “It Gets Better” project.

Their timing is always off, but what’s worse are the associations drawn between subordinated groups and failure. Associating Becky with the school shootings is harmful for the representation of those with disabilities, because “Glee’s” somewhat stunted viewers will likely conclude the two somehow work in tandem. It’s the same with gay characters.

“Glee’s” viewership is too dim-witted to look past the stereotypes. Though LGBT people and those with disabilities are entirely disparate, the problem is the same.

“Glee” continually associates gay characters with failure in multiple forms — falling prey to bullying, unable to conform to social structures, struggling with sexual identity, etc. The sob story grows tiresome.

The show should stop trying to address topical issues. “Glee” should throw away its tokenism.

There needs to be a “Girls” for gay guys (I’m already working on it). They’d render a much more authentic story, I’m sure.

­— ftirado@indiana.edu