DNR recognizes Ind. for outstanding forest management

The Department of Natural Resources’ Division of Forestry recognized 65 cities and towns for outstanding management of their urban forests as a Tree City USA.

The Tree City USA program was first established in Indiana in 1984, when Bloomington met the criteria and became the first Tree City in the state.

“In 2012, Indiana’s 65 Tree Cities planted more than 14,500 trees, removed 15,800, and pruned 45,357,” State Forester John Seifert said in a news release.  

Sixteen of the 65 cities and towns also received the Growth Award for a high standard of excellence for urban forestry management.

“These municipalities are to be commended for utilizing the urban forest as a tool to enhance economic development, environmental health, and quality of life in their community,” Seifert said in the release.

To be granted the title Tree City USA, communities are required to draft and pass a public tree care ordinance, designate a municipal department and tree advisory committee, spend at least $2 per capita for the tree care program and have an Arbor Day observance and proclamation, according to the release.

Indiana lost six Tree Cities this past year, many of which held their status since the early 1990s. A total of 568 cities and towns are eligible.

The DNR Forestry staff will formally recognize these communities during April and May at various Arbor Day ceremonies. The National Arbor Day Foundation and the National Association of State Foresters sponsor the program, which now includes 3,447 Tree Cities nationally, 443 of which received the Growth Award.

— Anu Kumar