City seeks homeless housing solution

ciHomeless CAROUSEL

A group of IU students are creating a proposal to provide Bloomington’s homeless community a place for long-term shelter this summer.

For the last four years, the Interfaith Winter Shelter has served the homeless population of Monroe County as a low-barrier shelter every October through April.

In addition, the Genesis House Summer Shelter has been in operation for the last three years to ensure those in need of shelter have a place to stay during the summer months as well. This summer, however, neither shelter will be open.

Samantha Harrell, an IU senior and social work student, said this poses a major threat for homeless individuals, as the next six months will leave them without any resources until the Interfaith Winter Shelter reopens in October.

Harrell said in the time since the Interfaith Winter Shelter closed in mid-April, homeless persons have resorted to sleeping on doorsteps, in gutters and under porches.

Harrell, along with IU senior Brianna Underhill and six other social work students have created a proposal for a low-barrier summer shelter called the Ubuntu Shelter.

The major components of the proposal include operating from May through October
and being open during nighttime hours to individuals experiencing homelessness.

So far, no set location has been established, but the group is working to locate vacated real estate and commercial property areas that can be used for the next six months.

“We’re looking for any place that can fit 60 people, pass fire code inspections and that has bathrooms. We really don’t have that high of standards,” Harrell said.

Likewise, many homeless residents in Monroe County are preparing for this summer accordingly.

Dennis Shelton, a Bloomington man who has been without a home for the last four years, has utilized the Interfaith Winter Shelter’s services since it opened in 2009 as well as the Genesis House Summer Shelter since 2010.

He said although these and other shelters may provide a place of warmth and comfort for a night, it still doesn’t alleviate the ongoing issue of drawing in more homeless people.

In the last few years, homelessness has become a growing issue in not only Bloomington, but the rest of Monroe County.

According to the United States Census Bureau, from 2007 to 2011, more than 25 percent of people living in Monroe County were below the poverty level. Forty percent of Bloomington residents, alone, fall below the poverty level.

“No matter how much people help the problem is going to keep growing.” Shelton said. “We’re hungry, but not for food, more for friends and support.”

Shelton, 47, said he will do what he can to find resources in order to survive this summer.

Recently, volunteers set up a military-grade tent on West 11th Street, which Shelton, along with many other homeless people, has utilized.

Chris Donohue, one of the property owners, granted use of the land last week in order to give more time to the students heading the Ubuntu Shelter project to find an established location.

“They asked me if they could put the tent on the land and I said yes. It’s the least I could do,” Donohue said.

On Thursday the tent was ordered to be taken down by noon on April 29, as it is not in ordinance with city code.

Harrell and the other five students hope their proposal will find shelter for the homeless for six months, or at least until the Interfaith Winter Shelter re-opens its doors.