‘Bro Gammas’ to assist potential greeks in fall rush

The Interfraternity Council is implementing recruitment facilitators, or Bro Gammas, into IFC recruitment this fall. IFC Vice President of Recruitment Tom Ault said they are hoping to have two Bro Gammas from each chapter, each in charge of 15 to 20 potential members.

“We want to put them in place to define what a fraternity is to potential members who may not necessarily be knowledgeable of the greek community,” Ault said.

IFC Vice President of Communications Sean Jordan said the goal of the Bro Gammas would not be for them to recruit for their chapter but to better align men with chapters that would best suit their needs.

“We want to ensure that anyone who wants to be in a fraternity can be and that no one falls through the cracks,” Ault said.

Initially, the Bro Gammas will only include resources for freshman recruits, rather than upperclassmen.

“We didn’t want to bite off too much in the initial launch,” Ault said. “However, IFC will always be an asset in any way we can.”

Ault said he met with the Panhellenic Association to talk about Rho Gammas’ role during the women’s recruitment process.

“We are not nearly as established as Rho Gammas,” Jordan said.

Jordan said value integration is important to the greek system, and IFC wanted to start at recruitment.

“We really want the first face to be positive members upholding the image of the greek system,” Ault said. “So, they can uphold through the next four years.”

Other than upholding values, Ault said using Bro Gammas during recruitment can help smaller fraternities get more coverage.

“We have a lot of great chapters,” Ault said. “Some of them aren’t as visible because they are small or unhoused. This is a platform for all fraternities to be an equal playing field.”

Jordan said he only rushed at chapters he knew.

“This is a great tool for chapters to get more exposure,” Jordan said.

The applications consist of a 250-word essay and the applicant’s résumé. Ault said they are looking for men with leadership, teamwork and organizational skills.

Once the applicants are chosen, Ault said they will meet once before summer break. During that meeting they will set up a calendar for informal training starting during vacation.

“I will stay on the IFC board to ensure it happens every year,” Ault said.

He said he is excited to get ready for September and build this program to be the middle man between chapters and men.

“We’re really excited about it,” Jordan said. “We really think that it will help each of our chapters find members who truly fit our set of values.”