sports baseball

Baseball winning streak turning heads

No. 24 IU is currently riding a 15-game win streak, the longest active streak in the nation, and is already tied for the longest in IU’s 118-year history.

“I think it gives people something to talk about or write about,” IU Coach Tracy Smith said. “But outside of that I don’t hear anybody talking about it, and it’s not something I go to bed every night and say, ‘Jeez, let’s get No. 16.’”

Even though the coach and the players downplay the importance of the streak within the team, it is indicative of how well the Hoosiers (22-3, 6-0 Big Ten) have played this season.

Some noteworthy statistics from the streak

IU has a run differential of +88, beating opponents by an average of 5.9 runs per game.

The largest margin of victory came against Miami (Ohio) March 20 when the Hoosiers opened up Bart Kaufman Field by beating the RedHawks 15-1.

The smallest margin of victory was two runs, which happened on three separate occasions.

The Hoosier pitching staff has hurled three shutouts and has not allowed more than six runs in a game. On average, the staff allows 2.7 runs per game.

The Hoosier offense has been potent, averaging 8.5 runs a game and scoring double digit runs in five of the 15 contests.

When IU started the streak, it was unranked. Now the Hoosiers are ranked by several national polls: No. 24 by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association, No. 19 by Baseball America and No. 19 by Perfect Game.

This is the first time in school history IU has been nationally ranked.