student life

Film concept developer to speak Friday

Students will receive an inside glance at the Hollywood film industry Friday with Drew Simon, director of development at a Hollywood production company.

Simon will speak about the film and entertainment industry 7 p.m. today in the Indiana Memorial Union Walnut Room.

The 2007 IU alumnus currently develops film concepts for the Mark Gordon Company, a Los Angeles based production company that helped produce films such as “We Bought a Zoo,” “10,000 B.C.” and “Source Code.”

“I think it’s going be a very informative and great event for anyone who wants to work in the film industry,” said Brad Domash, senior and Business Careers in Entertainment Club member.

Simon will speak about his experiences helping develop and discover film ideas and concepts, as well as answer general questions about working in the entertainment and film industry.

“I really like that we’re able to bring in an event for the club,” Chelsea Connors, co-director of the BCEC film and television committee in charge of organizing the event, said. “We do a lot of events like resume workshops, so it’s really an accomplishment when we can get someone like him.”

Domash interned in the same office as Simon at the Mark Gordon Company last summer and jumped at the opportunity to get involved when he heard Simon was coming to speak at IU.

“Obviously once I saw he was coming, I knew I had to get involved,” Domash said.
Domash and Connors both gave credit to the strong alumni network ties between entertainment industry professionals who graduated from IU that make events like this possible. There is even a Hollywood Hoosiers Alumni association that acts as a resource for IU graduates in the industry.

During his internship at Mark Gordon Company, Domash said he worked alongside several IU alumni.

“The minute I got there I could tell that me being a Hoosier made me stand out a little,” Domash said. “People were really receptive of me based on the fact that I went to IU.”

Simon will also answer questions about finding internships and jobs in the industry, an aspect Connors said is especially significant to students such as herself who are looking for a career in film and entertainment.

“I don’t just want a job, I want a career,” Connors said. “When I see people speak that are doing that, you can take all these different bits of advice from them and take on their direction. It’s really inspirational.”