Congregations gather for ‘Solar Celebration’

More than 200 participants sang the “Solar Carol” to the tune of “Angels We Have Heard on High” at Congregation Beth Shalom.

“So-o-o-o-o-lar power, inexpensive energy,” they sang at the Solar Leadership Celebration and Forum on Sunday evening.

“Join the sun in jubilee / Sing with us this joyous strain.”

The Celebration and Forum was hosted by Earth Care Bloomington, Hoosier Interfaith Power and Light and Southern Indiana Renewable Energy Network.

The event celebrated a $150,000 solar energy grant received by six Indiana places of worship last December and the beginning of installing the solar panels.

“We wanted to have a way of celebrating not just the panels, but the commonality of working hard for a higher interest,” Lana Eisenberg, co-chair of the greening committee at Congregation Beth Shalom, said.

Congregation Beth Shalom will install its panels within the next two months, Eisenberg explained.

In addition to Shalom, Trinity Episcopal Church, United Universalist Church of Bloomington and St. Thomas Lutheran Church, are also installing solar panels on their places of worship.

“I think it’s very moving that we’re coming together from all different places,” Rabi Brian Besser with the Congreation Beth Shalom, said. “May our work be as joyous as this celebration is tonight.”

As attendants finished their potluck dinner beneath a rainbow of streamers, the “sun-tinged entertainment” began.

Clergy and faith leaders amused the audience with a skit emphasizing the importance of working together on the solar project. They concluded that they had a common interest in saving a poor frog from being boiled in a pot.

“It’s not easy being green,” they sang. “Let’s save the frog together and the planet.”

A song written by Shalom member Larry Moss urged the audience to become involved, and an appearance by the green witch warned them to “change your light bulbs and recycle too, or this green witch will cast a spell on you.”

Though the mood was jovial, the topic discussed was serious, Rev. Lyle Mckee, chair of HIPL, said.

Ray Wilson came from the United Universalist Church of Indianapolis, one of two Indianapolis churches receiving the grant, to observe how the Bloomington congregations were installing the panels.

“We’re coming down to (niche) ideas,” he said. “There are more solar panels in Bloomington than the whole city of Indianapolis.”

As part of the grant requirements, each place of worship is required to reduce its energy use by at least 25 percent. One third of the congregation is required to pledge to reduce their energy use by one-seventh, Wilson said.

“When it’s all said and done, hopefully, our congregations will inspire other churches,” he said.

Ben Brabson, IU emeritus physics professor, is a member of Trinity, an older building that does not heat evenly. The 72 panels the church will install will produce 18,000 watts of energy, he said.

The evolution of solar energy feasibility is crucial to the environment, he added. Prices have reduced by two-and-a-half times since he installed panels on his own home, he said.

“People are seeing it’s something they can do,” he said. “It’s no longer just a frill or a warm feeling.”

As the celebration came to an end, the audience danced over to the forum to a lively klezmer clarinet tune. There, SIREN explained the practicalities of installing solar panels on a personal residence.

While the celebration recognized the accomplishment of the community, Mckee said there is more work to do.

“We are here because of a partnership that extends across the state and every religious tradition,” McKee said. “We will not stop with six or 60. We want to reach every sector of Indiana.”