crime & courts

Woman arrested for alleged battery of woman, officer

A woman was arrested Sunday after a fight with an “on-again, off-again” partner, resulting in the discovery of various prescription medications and the alleged battery of a Bloomington police officer, Sgt. Joseph Crider said.

Roselia Sons, 42, was booked at the Monroe County Jail as of 2 p.m. Monday facing preliminary charges of battery of a law enforcement officer, three counts of possession of a controlled substance, resistance of law enforcement and battery.

Bond is set at $2,000 surety and $500 cash.

Bloomington Police Department responded 3 p.m. Sunday to the victim’s residence on the 3200 block of South Market Place in reference to a fight in progress.

Upon officer arrival, Sons told police she had gotten into an argument with the victim, a 35-year-old woman with whom she had an “on-again, off-again” relationship, which escalated into what Sons called a “wrestling match,” Crider said.

Prior to the argument, Sons reportedly contacted the victim by phone and text message, requesting for the two to talk, Crider said.

The victim refused and as a result, Sons reportedly went to the victim’s apartment. The victim told police Sons had threatened to damage her vehicle.

Sons’ fingernail had broken off in the midst of the altercation, Crider said, which police believe to have caused an abrasion on the victim’s face.

During the process to arrest Sons, she reportedly began to resist, shoving the officer away from her. Officers attempted to restrain her legs to prevent her from kicking, and in doing so, the suspect reportedly kicked an officer in the right knee.

Officers also noticed Sons possessed a container with pills for which she could not provide a prescription. A pharmacist analyzed the contents of the container and identified the drugs as alprazolam, a medication commonly used to treat anxiety disorders; Klonopin, used to treat seizure or panic disorders; and hydrocodone.

— Kirsten Clark