arts performances

'Scandal' met with warm reception opening weekend

The School for Scandal Carousel

The Department of Theater and Drama’s production of “The School for Scandal” began its residency at the Ruth N. Halls Theatre on Friday.

Directed by Dale McFadden, “Scandal” focuses on how the gossip culture corrupts the public’s mind, leading to obsessions over all things scandalous. The show featured a cast of mostly undergraduate and graduate theater and drama majors.

The play intertwines two major playlets, “The Slanderers” and “Sir Peter Teazle,” written by playwright Richard Brinsley Sheridan.

“The Slanderers” focuses on brothers Charles and Joseph Surface, played by first-year master’s student Joshua Krause and second-year master’s student Aaron Kirkpatrick. While the brothers maintain different reputations in the public’s eye, it is revealed throughout the play that the public’s perception may not be correct.

“Sir Peter Teazle” tells the story of Teazle, played by second-year master’s student Clayton Gerrard, and his tumultuous relationship with his wife, Lady Teazle, played by first-year master’s student Mara Lefler. As a newly married couple, the two get into frequent arguments brought on by Lady Teazle’s desire to gossip with the higher class.

While the play is set in the 1700s and features some heightened 18th-century language, cast member and sophomore Cassie Alexander said the response to the show was great. Alexander plays Lady Teazle’s maid in the production.

“The audience followed everything quite well and responded positively to the show,” Alexander said. “It’s hard sometimes to perform a period comedy like this because you’re not sure if other people, especially students, will find it funny. But we had lots of laughter and positive responses, which is extremely rewarding.”

Fellow cast member and junior Jackson Goldberg, who plays Crabtree, said it’s the talent and enthusiasm of the actors that really help bring the show to life.

“This play succeeds when the entire cast brings intense enthusiasm and energy to every scene, and there is not a moment of dead space throughout,” Goldberg said. “Our enormous cast of 25 actors have done this beautifully. The show is hilarious and exciting to work on, and I have my fellow cast members to thank for that.”

The show has repeat performances from Feb. 26 to March 2 with an additional performance at 2 p.m. March 2.

Alexander said the opening weekend went well, and she hopes to see the warm reception she and the cast received continue through the show’s final performances.

“The cast in this show is really incredible,” she said. “Everyone delivered a wonderful performance for opening and will continue to do so throughout the run. It is such a privilege to work with this talented ensemble.”