Keep Calm and Carry On: It’s not too late for a spring break body

Question Help! Spring break is two weeks away and I feel like the holiday weight is more apparent than ever. How do I work on having a spring break body in this time crunch?

Answer Well, you certainly aren’t alone — try to get an elliptical at the Student Recreational Sports Center at this time of year and you will see everyone is in the same situation, dreaming of Mexico madness while trying to shed some pounds.
After a weary winter of heavy coats and thick layers, breaking out shorts and bathing suits is intimidating for any college kid wanting to be spring break eye candy. Unfortunately, just like any other life event, change takes time, dedication and desire.
Look on the bright side of the spring break sun, who says two weeks isn’t enough time? There are several things you can do to feel healthier and happier in even just a few days if you make some realistic goals and stick to them. When a candy dish comes around or the idea of a nap sounds more appealing than a workout, convince yourself that this is a two-week “experiment” to be as healthy and in shape as possible. Soon you will be

lounging on the beach with plenty of time for some sun. 
Don’t rely on magic and believe there is potion to transform your body in a day, and don’t follow any fad diet that will have you waking up in the middle of the night with a growling belly. Instead, just be smart and you will feel better in no time. Here are some tips that will have you feeling and looking great.

1. Willpower is the way. When I try to eat healthier, I start with developing willpower. Saying “no” the first time is often the most difficult time, but after that initial rejection of the chocolate cake or bar breadsticks, the next time is easier. But after you said no the first time and survived, why not do it again? Build up willpower slowly. The more experience you have, the more you will feel in control of your choices.

2. Just 20 minutes. The idea of getting back into a gym routine always bogs me down when I think about an hour-long workout everyday, but what if you only commit to a 20-minute work out? This is long enough to be effective, but short enough to seem do-able. A 20-minute commitment will get you in the gym with ease. The hardest part is getting to the physical building, but once you are listening to pump-up jams and moving your feet, staying for an additional 15 or 20 minutes might make your day, leaving you feeling brand new.

3. Keep calm. When we obsess over our weight, flaws and short deadlines, the task at hand becomes that much harder to complete. Getting in shape can be enjoyable and rewarding, but you have to allow yourself to enjoy the process. Getting hung up on having the perfect body will leave you fatigued and craving food to lessen that anxiety. Don’t act like it’s the end of the world. Instead, seek some inspiration, tell yourself you are able and stay confident. You can make these changes. If you tell yourself it’s yours to have, the goal is already halfway accomplished.

­— espitzer@indiana.edu

This question was submitted to Eshley. Want her advice? Email arts@idsnews.com.