sports water polo

Hoosiers find way to win three of four games

After starting the season with a 3-6 record, the No. 12 IU water polo team put together its first weekend of play with more wins than losses. The Hoosiers were 3-1 in the Bison Invitational and improved their record to 6-7.

The weekend didn’t start as planned as IU fell to conference foe Hartwick 8-7. IU previously beat Hartwick 9-6 back on Feb. 3.

Senior attacker Jakie Köhli scored two goals in the match, bringing her career total to 200. When the weekend ended, that mark had grown to 202. She is now four goals behind Brooke Zimmerman’s 206 for third most all-time by a Hoosier.

Sophomore Rebecca Gerrity got her second start of the season and made the most of it with a team-high three goals. Freshman Jessica Gaudreault made her 10th consecutive start in goal and recorded seven saves, two assists and four steals.

IU rebounded in its next match by defeating Villanova 12-3. The nine-goal margin of victory is IU’s largest of the season. The previous high was three against both Colorado State (10-7) and Hartwick.

The Hoosiers started out slowly against the winless Wildcats with a 3-2 halftime lead. But in the second half, IU exploded for five goals in the third quarter and four in the fourth. Junior defender Amanda Redfern led the Hoosiers in goals with three. Eight different Hoosiers scored in the game, and sophomore Shelley St. Omer Roy netted her first goal of the season.

Freshman goalkeeper Mary Campbell got her first start of her IU career and racked up two saves and a steal.

IU kept up its winning ways in day two of the invitational by first beating Wagner 15-11. The game set three season-highs for IU in 2013 — goals in a game, combined goals between IU and its opponent and goals in a period, with seven in the third.

Junior attacker Shae Fournier led IU in scoring with four goals. Again, eight different Hoosiers found the back of the net.

IU’s offense slowed down in the final match of the weekend, but the defense held strong and helped the Hoosiers to a 4-2 victory over No. 10 Princeton. It was IU’s first win over a top-10 team this year.

Gerrity led the Hoosiers in scoring again, this time with two goals. Köhli and sophomore Summer Creighton each added one score.

- Trent Stutzman