politics

Brief from the Chief

ciStateoftheUnion Carousel

President Barack Obama delivered his State of the Union address Tuesday night.

The address is given annually to a joint session of the United States Congress. The address outlines national priorities as well as the president’s legislative agenda.

1. “Reducing the deficit is not an economic plan.”
The deficit has been reduced by more than $2.5 trillion, but Obama emphasized that more initiatives were necessary to finish the job. He also said it was key to prevent cuts to education, energy and Medicare. Tax reform and entitlement reform were highlighted as solutions to bring down the deficit.

2. “Our first priority is making America a magnet for new jobs and manufacturing.”
Obama urged Congress to pass the rest of the agenda from his proposed American Jobs Act of a year and half ago. He also announced the launch of three more manufacturing hubs to promote American innovation.

3. “We must do more to combat climate change.”
Obama said the nation can no longer ignore natural disasters but instead should look to the “overwhelming judgment of science.” He insisted that if Congress doesn’t act soon, he would direct the Cabinet to come up with executive orders to prepare for the consequences of climate change and work toward more sustainable sources of energy.

4. “America’s energy sector is just one part of an aging infrastructure badly in need of repair.”
Obama proposed a “Fix-it-First” program in order to put people to work on the most urgent national repairs such as deficient bridges. He is also proposing a Partnership to Rebuild America in order attract private capital to upgrade businesses. The housing sector needs to be rebuilt in order to help the economy grow, he said. 

5. “To grow our middle class, our citizens must have access to the education and training that today’s jobs require.”
Obama raised the statistic that fewer than 3 in 10 four-year-olds are enrolled in a high quality preschool program, emphasizing the importance of early development. He also announced a new challenge to redesign high schools so graduates are better equipped for a high tech economy. He asked Congress to change the Higher Education Act so that affordability and value were included in which colleges receive federal aid. His administration will release a new “college scorecard” that will allow parents and students to better compare schools.

6. “We know our economy is stronger when our wives, mothers and daughters can live their lives free from discrimination in the workplace, and free from the fear of domestic violence.”
Senate passed the Violence Against Women Act Tuesday. Obama urged the House to do the same and asked Congress to pass the Paycheck Fairness Act this year so women can earn an equal living to their efforts.

7. “Tonight, let’s declare that in a the wealthiest nation on Earth, no one who works full time should have to live in poverty, and raise the federal minimum wage to $9 an hour.”
For those who are straddling the line between poverty and proper living, Obama proposes the increase to gain an edge and a fair chance at being a part of the middle class.

8. “Beyond 2014, America’s commitment to a unified and sovereign Afghanistan will endure, but the nature of our commitment will change.”
33,000 servicemen and women have already come home. This spring, American forces will take a backseat as more of a support as American security forces take the lead. Obama announced that over the next year another 34,00 troops will come home.

9. “In the Middle East, we will stand with citizens as they demand their universal rights and support stable transitions to democracy.”
Obama said he will continue to keep the pressure on nations like Syria in order to respect the fundamental rights of all people. The United States will also continue to stand with Israel in pursuit of security and peace, Obama said he plans to deliver these messages when he travels to the Middle East next month.

10. “I know this is not the first time this country has debated how to reduce gun violence. But this time is different.”
Obama expanded on his executive orders he had announced earlier during term. He called for more background checks that will make it harder for criminals to get a gun. He is also working with senators of both parties to create new laws to prevent anyone from buying guns for resale for criminals. He said he will no longer tolerate the deaths from gun violence.