Pence sworn in as Ind. governor

ciPence

INDIANAPOLIS — Proclaiming what makes Indiana great is that “Hoosiers are the best people on earth,” Mike Pence was inaugurated as the state’s 50th governor Monday.

Hoosiers elected Pence, a Republican, to succeed former Gov. Mitch Daniels to the post in November 2012.

“Indiana is the heart of the heartland,” Pence said before a crowd gathered outside the Statehouse.

The Inaugural Ceremony began with performances from the 38th Infantry Band. Prior to the ceremony’s start, audience members donning colored badges trickled inside the Statehouse. Indiana State Police officers spread themselves throughout the lobby, using dogs to inspect the area.

“We have gathered here today with cold hands and feet but warm hearts,” said the Honorable Ed Simcox, the emcee of the ceremony.

Pence was then sworn in with the Benjamin Harrison Inaugural Bible.

“The bible belonged to President Harrison, but the deep heartfelt commitment will be made by Gov. Pence,” Simcox said.

Pence said Indiana is facing a time of uncertainty but could prove to be resilient, as history as shown.

“We need to meet this moment with resolve,” Pence said.

Pence said the gap between those serving and those being served is greater than ever.

The gap was particularly obvious due to protests near the Indiana Government Center next to the Statehouse.

Protesters from the bus drivers’ union in partnership with the American Federation of State, City and Municipal Employees dressed in orange safety vests chanted outside, “Unemployment right now!” and “Get me pay!”

“We actually planned this protest before we knew what day it was,” Andrea Helm, a member of AFSCME, said.

Helm said no member of the Statehouse or Government Center had responded to the group yet, and she didn’t expect they would.

Tyler White, a communications major at IU-Purdue University Indianapolis, said he is looking forward to the policies Pence’s administration will be putting together.

“The legislature here in Indiana is good at getting things done, so I’m looking forward to seeing what they’ll do,” White said. 

Pence said he would focus on good jobs, great schools, safe streets and strong families in Indiana. He said he plans to hold off on spending and give teachers more freedom to teach.

Pence did not outline specific policy plans during his inauguration speech.

During the election — in a campaign he dubbed the “Roadmap for Indiana” — he said he hopes to increase private-sector employment, improve math and reading skills in elementary schools and better the health and safety of Hoosiers across the state.

Following his inauguration, Pence signed 15 executive orders, including six new orders. His new orders work to implement enhanced ethics practices for state government, promote government efficiency and transparency and impose a suspension period on new regulations.

According to a press release from Pence’s office, his new orders also require certain state agencies to develop family impact statements, set a goal of securing three percent of state contracts from veteran-owned businesses and establish a separate Office of Energy Development.

He took back one executive order, changing the reporting structure for the Indiana Education Employment Relations Board back to the governor.

Eight of the additional orders Pence signed will continue various boards and offices, including continuing the Western Governors University Indiana.

Pence also had a bipartisan meeting with the leadership of both the House and Senate.

The meeting included Senate Pro-Tempore David Long, House Speaker Brian Bosma, Senate Minority Leader Timothy Lanane and House Minority Leader Scott Pelath.

Pence ended his first day in office with a meeting with his economic development team.

“It was very important to me to meet with their leadership on our first day in office to talk about what Indiana needs right now and how we get the job done,” Pence said in a press release.

Attorney General Greg Zoeller was inaugurated first by Brent Dickson, Chief justice of the Indiana Supreme Court.

Zoeller said he supported Gov. Pence’s plans and believed Pence would take Indiana from “good to great.”

Pence said he wants Indiana to once again be a “torch of opportunity and hope.”

“The air is cold, so let’s back inside and get to work,” Pence said.